Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Discovery Accelerator search results inaccurate

We continue to experience inaccurate results which consist of items for a non-selected user that does not meet the criteria in the search.  We have tested with two different searches that produce ver...
    11 years ago

Mr. Adams?  Please call me Ken.  Mr. Adams was my Dad.  wink

The "Use Historical Information for Custodians and Custodian Groups" option can have an affect on what is included in the search criteria.  To provide some background to answer your question about this option, let me explain a little of how a DA search using Custodians is processed on the DA server prior to being submitted.

Each Custodian is referenced to their SMTP address or addresses by the use of an AddressOwnerID that is unique to each Custodian.  The SMTP address or addresses are kept in an address table.  The Custodian names are kept in an address user table and a principal table, with the address user table containing each Custodian's display name, last name, first name, etc.  When certain administrative actions are applied to a Custodian - such as removal of an SMTP address, deactivation or deletion - information for the custodian will be placed into an address history table.

When a DA search using a Custodian is created, the Custodian is referenced by their AddressOwnerID.  That AddressOwnerID is translated into the SMTP address or addresses that we have for that Custodian in the Custodian Manager database.  The SMTP address or addresses, which are obtained from the address table, are then configured into the search criteria before being passed to the search engine on the EV indexing server(s).

Now, when a search is being configured with the "Use Historical Information for Custodians and Custodian Groups" option enabled (which is enabled by default), the search creation process will also look in the address history table for any SMTP address or addresses that are associated with the Custodian's AddressOwnerID.  So, if your selected Custodian has an address history table entry of "0" for an address, you'll get this "0" address included in the search criteria.

It sounded like your Custodian had the "0" address in the address table, not the address history table.  That "0" address could have been manually added as the SMTP Address field in Custodian Manager is configured to take any text.  We occassionally recommend adding a Custodian's Display Name and variations of it into the SMTP Address field to allow for more matches to message.  This would be in the event that an e-mail was sent with only a Display Name indexed for the author or recipient (as in an archived message from the user's Drafts folder before the message was configured with any recipients).

I know checking all of the Custodians for a Display Name or Address of 0 can be very time consuming.  I also know that you may have other instances of a Display Name or Address of other numbers.  Here is a SQL query to run against your Custodian Manager database to see all instances of an address or display name of 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5.  You can adjust the WHERE clause condition to include more numbers if you need by just adding a comma, space, and the next number surrounded by single quotes as you can see in the query.

SELECT ta.Address AS 'Address or Display Name'
         , tat.Name AS 'Address Type'
         , ta.AddressOwnerID
         , tau.DisplayName AS 'Custodian Display Name'
         , tau.FirstName AS 'Custodian First Name'
         , tau.Surname AS 'Custodian Last Name'
    FROM tblAddress AS ta
    JOIN tblAddressUser AS tau
      ON ta.AddressOwnerID = tau.AddressOwnerID
    JOIN tblAddressType AS tat
      ON ta.AddressTypeID = tat.AddressTypeID
    WHERE ta.Address IN ('0', '1', '2', '3', '4', '5')
    ORDER BY ta.Address

You can run the same query against the address history table by changing the FROM line's table name from tblAddress to tblAddressHistory.

You can also change the WHERE statement to list all entries that have a 0 in the Address column to be
    WHERE ta.Address LIKE '%0%'

I offer the above change to the query so you can see all Custodians that have a 0 in their address or display name.

You can use the query to quickly identify any Custodian(s) that may need to be accessed through Custodian Manager to remove the number entry from the Address and / or Display Name field.

Let us know if you find this information useful or if you need more clarification, please.  We'll be glad to help as we are able.

Ken