Forum Discussion

ricp
Level 4
13 years ago

Archive Folder and Shortcuts missing from Outlook

Running EV8 and mainly Outlook 2002 (we know the two arent supported - the site is a mess we inherited)

Some users are reporting that shortcuts are missing and that their archive folder and sub folders are also missing from their Outlook folder list on left hand side. These missing folders and vaulted email are visible in user's EV explorer. Not all of their short cuts are gone, but on average I would say about 80% of shortcuts are missing for each user that reports the issue.

Does anyone know what can cause shortcuts and archive folders to 'disappear' in Outlook and if there is any reasonable way to get the folders/shortcuts back without having to export/reimport all archived mail into the users archive just to recreate shortcuts and folder structure?

Thanks in advance,

Ric

• No, that only works with existing shortcuts and doesn't recreate them if they have been deleted.

I think you will have to restore the archive back to the mailbox, set the IgnoreEVDates reg key and do a run now on to archive the mailbox back down.

7 Replies

• EV would not remove folders from outlook, so that is a bit strange.

It is possible that the shortcuts were deleted using shortcut expiry, you could check to see if that was enabled but that would not explain the folders disappearance.

Is this all users or just a few?  For the ones that report it are there any Exchange rules running?

• Shortcut retention is 2 years, email deletion is 6 years. Do you know if the time period is taken from the date of the email or the date it was archived? It's also the fact that the Archive Folders/sub folders have disappeared from Outlook as well as most of the shortcuts, but the archived emails/folder structure are still visible through EV Explorer. It's not all users. 

As a side thought, would restarting the EV services on the EV server have any affect on the user's mailbox folder structure in Exchange somehow?

• Refer http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO32161

• Modified date. The retention period is based on the date when the item was last modified. For mail messages, a retention period that is based on the Modified date is the time since the message was sent or received. For documents, it is the time since the document was last modified.

• Archived date. The retention period is the time since the item was archived

• I'd seen that article Tech 49033:

Option 1: Not an option, no brick level backup.

Option 2: Doesn't allow you to restore items to original location, either it creates a folder the same name as the PST or dumps it under the archive folder. One particular user has 20x600MB PSTs exported out of his EV archive.

Option 3: Need to test that the items go back to their original location, and if the original location doesn't exist does it recretae it ie the missing archive folders? Also would I need to delete that reg key after the auto archiving process had taken place?

Option 4: Tried this on one test email in the Archive Folder in EV Explorer, and it didn't restore as the Archive Folder wasn't in Outlook. 

• No, that only works with existing shortcuts and doesn't recreate them if they have been deleted.

I think you will have to restore the archive back to the mailbox, set the IgnoreEVDates reg key and do a run now on to archive the mailbox back down.