Forum Discussion

smlopes
Level 5
12 years ago

Archiving Recoverable Items folder

Is it possible to archive the Exchange Recoverable Items folder? Recoverable Items folder has grown huge and we cant delete anything from it. We are using Evault 9.0.2

• Enterprise Vault already has this option

RecoverTombstoneItems

Location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

\Software

\KVS

\Enterprise Vault

\Agents

Content DWORD

0 — (Default) Do not archive tombstone objects

1 — Archive tombstone objects

Description Controls whether an Archiving Service archives

tombstone objects.

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Exchange_Mailbox_Archiving_Unit/277813.pdf

8 Replies

• Enterprise Vault already has this option

RecoverTombstoneItems

Location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

\Software

\KVS

\Enterprise Vault

\Agents

Content DWORD

0 — (Default) Do not archive tombstone objects

1 — Archive tombstone objects

Description Controls whether an Archiving Service archives

tombstone objects.

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Exchange_Mailbox_Archiving_Unit/277813.pdf

• That being said, if you use virtual vault, it really may not be a good idea
    So for instance if i have virtual vault, and i drag a load of items from my inbox in to Virtual Vault and synchronize, then everythings good, however those items that i moved were a copy and a delete, so they are now in the recoverable items /exchange dumpster.

So now EV will go ahead and start archiving tombstoned objects that it already has, creating duplicates

• Also be aware of this one as well, as this is important if you are using Quotas

"This functionality will continue to work for Exchange 2010 with a slight side affect in that all items recovered will be recovered to and archived from the root of the mailbox (i.e. IPM_SUBTREE).  We don’t support the Purged or Versions  folders (which both occur when the mailbox is on legal hold)."

• Sorry one more question. Can we target specific mailboxes for this option instead for everyone?

• Is this a server or plugin setting? I cannot find any documentation othere than what registry keys to use..

• Hmmm you *might* be able to by doing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\wow6432Node\KVS\EnterpriseVault\Agents\\RecoverTombstoneItems Haven't tested it, but it might work, based on how other parts of the product work Downside to this is you will have to create a registry key for each archiveID you wish to use this for