Forum Discussion

pfgJim
Level 3
16 years ago

Command line access to EV Task's status

There is a EV utility (EVService) that can be used to start, stop, pause and resume EV services and tasks.  Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to have the capability to list the available services and tasks nor can it display the currect status of a service or task.

Is there another way to poll for an EV service's or task's status?

I can get the status of the services through the clustering tools or via Windows for standalone installs, but the status of the tasks is internal to EV.

Thanks,

Jim

5 Replies

• Surely, someone has to be using some form of monitoring to ensure the EV tasks are operational...

• Hello Jim,

As 'first line monitoring', I use the EV MOnitoring webpage. That gives a simple, but usefull overview of tasks and services running (or not), no. of mails in journalmailboxen, diskspace, sql db size, and if backups have been done.

Check the (administer or install) manual on this. No need to install anything additional, just monitoring. Accessible via a webpage, so can be checked from anywhere. Uses EV Authorization to allow people access.

Regards,

Gertjan

• I'm unable to configure the Operations Manager web app.  It seems (verified by Symantec) that OpsManager on EV 7.0 and 7.5 has to be manually deployed on Veritas clusters.

Also, I'm looking to setup an automated monitoring process.  The EV events alone aren't going to cut it.  I will look into OpsManager though.

• EV Operations Manager does not need to be deployed to a vertias cluster as far as I'm aware.  I run EV on veritas cluster, but EVOM on a standalone server.

Simply looking in the directory database reveals a wealth of views on what tasks as configured.

Such as:

• view_task_exchange
    • pstMigratorTaskView
    • JournalTaskView
    • archivingretrievaltaskview
    • etc 

However I do agree that the command line tool should provide this basic information.

Ben

• Good point about not needed to deploy OpsManager to a cluster.