Forum Discussion

srilal
Level 3
13 years ago

Creating the Enterprise Vault system mailbox

Hi All,

I have two concerns on "Creating the Enterprise Vault system mailbox".

My Environment :  Exchange 2010 (single server) , EV version 9.0.2 , SQL2008 as Database , Active Directory Server

All platforms : Windows Server 2008 R2

Question :

Enterprise Vault Service Account name : evadmin (In ActiveDirectory Server)

In my case "evadmin" user account has a respective mailbox in Exchange Server. Can I use that as the system mailbox instead creating a new mailbox in Exchange Server ?

way 1 : use evadmin account mailbox

way 2: create a fresh mailbox in Exchange

Which way is more appropriate in production ?

Thanks in Advanced

Regards,

Srilal

9 Replies

• Hi Rahul,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have just created a simple user mail box in Exchange server . (see screenshot)

"evadmin" has all permission set as per the document.Hope the new mailbox does not need any specific changes with respect to configuration except these :

•   The Enterprise Vault tasks require exclusive use of this mailbox, so the mailbox must not be used for any other purpose.
    •   The mailbox must not be hidden from address lists.
    •   The account that the Enterprise Vault system mailbox is associated with must not be disabled.

Regards,

Srilal

• Make sure you select the newly created mailbox when setting up the archiving task for the exchange server.

• Hello,

I am also in the process of bringing online a new Exchange 2010 enviroment. I am a bit confused on the EV System Mailbox.

Exactly, how is his mailbox created? Do I create this mailbox through the Exchange Management Console or is it created in the EV Console? The ESA has its own mailbox that I will migrate first to the 2010 enviroment.

Also, when adding the Exchange server, do I follow these steps below?

1. Add the new mailbox server to the Targets\Exchange
    2. Create a new task for the Exchange Server

• The system mailbox is created on the Exchange side, just like you would create any other mailbox.

You can consolidate Steps 1 and 2 into 1 single step because as you are adding the Exchange server target you are prompted to create the archiving task.

• THANKS.... Now I get it. The EV System Mailbox is just a mail enabled AD account. I wish the documentation would just say that which is much clearer.

• One last question about Outlook on the EV Server. It is currently at Outlook 2003. Should I uninstall this client then install Outlook 2007 with hotfix KB968858 or can I just perform an upgrade?

• I haven't read any of the recent documentation but I do know it can get a bit confusing on occasion.  FYI, the EV System Mailbox should only be a Domain User.  Happy archiving!!!!!!!