Forum Discussion

18 years ago

How can I rebuild ALL indexes at once.

Enterprise Vault V6.0 SP2

I need to rebuild all my indexes (500+ users) Is there an easy way of doing this without using IndexVolumeReplay?.. I know it may take a while, etc...

Thanks..
  • No, I just like the sound of it. ;)

Yes, if the index is not present and the system needs to update it, ie add an item to it because of an archive run, it will rebuild it. Like I said before, it is less than ideal and I would not recommend doing 500 at once.

14 Replies

• Heh,
    It's smarter then I thought. Does the pop an event saying it had to rebuild the index?

micah
  • Thank you all for your input.. I have now tested this on my Lab kit, and here is the method I have working.

1. Stop Indexing Service.
    2. Rename Indexing location
    3. Create new directory with the same name as the old one.
    4. Restart Indexing Service
    5. open Outlook on the EV Server, send a test mail to all users.
    6. Do an Archive Now run on all mailboxes.

This forces ALL the indexes to rebuild automatically....

Many Thanks..
  • Im actually doing the same exercise, one thing to be aware of (which I found out the hard way), changing the indexing requirement at site level is not enough, you have to change it on your mailbox policy too, else new archives will pick up what ever is set up on the policy. Sounds silly, but I made the change at site level added 300 users, then discovered they will all still on medium instead of full :( unimpressed.

Thanks for the instructions for rebuilding the indexes, Ill be doing it this weekend :)
  • You for sure want to change it for the mailbox policy and synchronize the mailboxes. It would also be good to spot check the properties of the archive to make sure it is set to what you want.

No since going through this exercise more than necessary! :)