Forum Discussion

17 years ago

Message dispenser will suspend processing

Hi,

In our event viewer we receive warnings (every 10 minutes) with the following information:

Type: Warning
Source: Enterprise Vault
Category: Archive Task
Event ID: 2216

Description: Message dispenser will suspend processing for 10 minutes due to a recoverable error
Task: Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task for NLEH2EX011
Archiving seems to work extremely slow and we have noticed that in MSMQ there are quite a few queues that have over 1700 items in it. Purging and deleting the queues just resulted in that they were re-created, in the beginning at 0, but slowly they are building up again to over 1700 items. Disk Size = all ok.

We are using EV 2007 SP1 and Windows 2003 SP1.

Does anyone give me any idea where to look? A Dtrace also didn't give me any real information.
  • The problem was created by a vaulty SQL backup. Transaction logs were not truncated, but because of some organizational vaults, no one checked the SQL environment.

After the SQL Transaction logs were normal again, the system started to run normal after I purged the queues.
    Unfortunately because of a huge backlog (we just migrated some mail), it took about 4 days until everything was processed.

The Transaction Logs were filling up like mad during those 4 days, so I just created a maintenance plan which did the trick for me a few times a day !

So lesson learned about the backup!

7 Replies

• Problem solved.

I mentioned in my first post that we purged and deleted the queues. However we only did delete the queues, after which they were re-created again.

The solution was just to purge the queues. Simple as that!

Topic can be closed !
  • Hi Marc,

Maybe it's good to investigate why the queues did fill up in the first place?
    Did you have any connectivity issues with your Exchange or SQL  infrastructure?

• The problem was created by a vaulty SQL backup. Transaction logs were not truncated, but because of some organizational vaults, no one checked the SQL environment.

After the SQL Transaction logs were normal again, the system started to run normal after I purged the queues.
    Unfortunately because of a huge backlog (we just migrated some mail), it took about 4 days until everything was processed.

The Transaction Logs were filling up like mad during those 4 days, so I just created a maintenance plan which did the trick for me a few times a day !

So lesson learned about the backup!
  • Marc, just as additional information: we scheduled our transaction log backup to run every 30 min. This not only keeps the transaction log file relatively small (provided that you shrink regularly), it also enables to restore to a point in time in case database corruption occurs.  
  • Aha. Good point to consider.

I am even thinking of changing our design plans to make this mandatory !

Thank you very much for the information.
  • Hi All,

we are having exactly the same problem, but none of solutions didn't work.We deleted, purged message queues,also backup is running every day,but we still have this problem with "Message dispenser will suspend processing".Any ideas?

• Hi,

This error is a generic error and can have many causes.  Effectively, it means the agent got an error whilst processing and so it goes sleep for 10 minutes because it thinks it's the type of error is recoverable.

So what you need is to get a dtrace of the task when it's reporting this and send that to support so they can identify what's making the agent suspend processing.