Forum Discussion

-Maurice
Level 4
12 years ago

Move multiple indexvolumes using "Manage Indexes" "Change location"

Hello community, a few points to the envorinment of my "issue" Environment 4 EV Server each with one Vault Store Version EV 10.0.1 / Exchange 2010   I have one customer which has round 9k...
    12 years ago

The process I outlined is for moving the indexes of all archives in a particular vault store irrespective of the index locations. Even if the indexes are spread across multiple drives, when you query for the FolderName and IndexrootPath from tables IndexVolume and IndexRootPathEntry, you get the list of folders with paths for the particular vault store.

Then you can use robocopy or similar tools to copy only those folders from the Query results to the new EV server. Then follow the remaining procedure for updating the IndexRootPathEntry, IndexServiceEntry and StorageServiceEntryID.

I would not suggest the procedure if you are not comfortable with EV SQL databases.

I also think you can further customize the query to indentify the index folders for individual Archive instead of a VaultStore as a whole. I have to check it out in lab whether that is possible, however I can guarantee for all indexes of archives in a particular vault store.

Edit: In the above process, you do not have to copy the index volumes to exact locations on the new servers. If you index is spread across multiple locations, you can copy them to a single location in new server. eg: You current index for that vault store is spread across I:\Index1, I:\Index2, J:\Index1. You have to move them to single location \\newserver\I$\Index1. This makes the update statement simple.