Forum Discussion

SMITAdmin
Level 3
14 years ago

Orphaned Shortcuts Not Being Identified

Hello,

I have recently implemented Vault (9.0) and have configured it for mailbox archiving from our 2003 exchange server. It is archiving properly and leaving the shortcuts behind as expected. We are archiving mail older than 6 months, creating a shortcut, then deleting anything older that 2 years from the archive (We had mail stretching back over 7 years in our mailboxes).

When the initial mailbox archive was done, it pulled all email older than 6 months into the archive and left shortcuts behind for everything. Email older than 2 years was then purged from the archive. The now orphaned shortcuts, however, remained in the users mailboxes. I ran a report to show how many orphaned shortcuts there were and the report indicates that there are no orphaned shortcuts. What I am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

3 Replies

• Did you ever recreate the archive at all?
    Orphaned shortcuts will only go through and check  shortcuts that belong to the current archive user.

So for instance lets say i had an EV Archive on EVServer1, i then delete the entire archive (for whatever reason) and then create a new one on EVServer2.

I now have two archive ID's

Old Archive ID: 1234567890ABCDEFGHIJmyEVSite
    New Archive ID: JIHGFEDCBA0987654321myEVSite

What will happen is all my old shortcuts still have the 123456 archive ID stamped on it
    But when EV goes through it will only consider shortcuts that match the new archive ID (JIHGFED etc).

You also may be seeing an issue where its doing thin shortcut processing as opposed to fat shortcut processing

• Thanks for the reply JesusWept2. None of the archives have been deleted or recreated. This is a brand new setup for our company (our first installation of Vault). So far I have setup 4 mailboxes to be archived and the same thing is happening to all four of them.

I'm not familleur with thin shortcut processing vs fat shortcut processing. What is the difference and where can I check that?

Thanks!