Forum Discussion

19 years ago

PST Import Failure - Maybe languages?

Hey there guys,
I'm sorta stuck on helping a client with multi-language PST imports. Symantec support has been email tagging with them, and they're sorta fustrated. Any ideas would be great.

micah
--------------
The only other language centric thing I tried is installing the Office Language pack for French. I ran a repair on the PST and re-ran the import, but the result is the same.

The problem is not happening on all PST files. The best guess as to the diffrence seems to be language. Everyone who uses english seems to have no problem with moving their PST files. No one who speaks French, Italian or other non-english languages has succeeded. We've move maybee 20 people using the KVS Export/Import without problems. it was only when we enabled France (and now Italy) and tried the process that it started failing like this. And all the users we've tried in those two offices have failed with the same symptoms.

The Version of Outlook used to export is Outlook 2003 SP2. It was previously Outlook 2000 SP3, Jason had me upgrade it. I have not imported PST files that were not created by KVS at all, everything was done by an KVS export. We don't have any user generated PST files (that I know about) since we started using KVS 5 a few years ago.

We are attempting to create shortcuts in the associated Mailbox. It fails. If we try to create shortcuts in the PST file, It fails with the same symptoms. If we try to import the same PST file into an english mailbox, it succeeds, complete with creating shortcuts. I can demonstrate with two mailboxes, one English and another belonging to an Italian user on the same Exchange server in London. Using one common PST file (belonging to the Italian user originally) The import to the english user succeeds, the import to the italian user fails.

We have been trying to import with the Wizard. Last night my CMT contact indicated I might have more success if I set up an Import task. I've started work to get that going, but I havn't been able to try that yet.

Looking forward to working with you
Db

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2006 5:56 PM
To: davidb@text100.com
Subject: Case 230-111-801 (MIGRATION : Importing PST from Exchange 5.5 into the new archives - Moved i...)

Hello David,

It appears the Jason has been out of the office due to an emergency so I have picked up this case. I haven't looked at all of the trace details yet but from what I understand, there are PST files that EV is having trouble migrating. PST files are quite troublesome in general so I'd like to get an idea as to the scope of the issue so we can see if the issue is PST related or EV related.

Is this issue happening for ALL PST files you are trying to import into the archives? Or just a select few?

What version of Outlook was used to create the PST files? I see that the mailboxes were on Exchange 5.5 however, PST's are independent of Exchange. If you create a test PST with a few mails in it and import it, do you get success?

Are you opting to leave shortcuts within the PST's after migration or are you placing shortcuts in the mailboxes? Or are you even using shortcuts at all?

Are you using the PST Migrator task to process these or are you using the PST Migration Wizard? If you are using the Task, do you get success with the Wizard?

These details should get us off on a good starting point. I am going to review the trace logs as well and see if there is anything that is evident.

Rob

17 Replies