Forum Discussion

AKL
Level 6
12 years ago

PST Migrations & Exchange Quotas

Hello

As soon as I type in first line about PST migration question, a voice inside me tells "you need to use third party PST migrator along with EV rather than EV native tools !" LOL. But that's that.

We're running on Enterprise vault 9.0.1, Exchange 2010 SP2 RU3. Recently I noticed that certain user mailbox size limits changes randomly for certain users/mailboxes. And the time when they change is pretty close to when PST migrator is running.

For example, I set a mailbox limit for (IssueWarning/ProhibitSend/ProhibitSendReceive) to 3.8/4/4,5GB accordingly, with database quota default set to false. When PST migrator task runs, they change to 2/2/2GB on their own.

For certain users, I keep mailbox size limits close to database default with defaults turned off so EV can adjust exchange quotas as it migrates the PST file, but somehow they turn the database default on.

For users whom i (or something else)t decrease mailbox limits for (as explained above), it logs following entry in event log:

Log Name:      Symantec Enterprise Vault
Source:        Enterprise Vault
Date:          10/13/2012 6:04:45 AM
Event ID:      6742
Task Category: Migrator Server
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      EVServer.contoso.com
Description:
PST Migration Report

Migration status: Incomplete

Processing aborted. The mailbox does not have enough space to complete the PST migration. Increase the indicated mailbox storage limits by at least 493890KB and run PST Migrator again to move the items in the PST to the mailbox.

Current mailbox quota used: 1967492KB
Set the Prohibit send limit to at least 2591041KB
(null)11128436402681492KB

PST file: \\ClientPC\Outlook\archive.pst (Copy: C:\Fakepath\Copy16.pst)
Archive Name: Donald Duck

Vault Id: RandomVaultID
RetentionCategory: Business
Exchange Server\Mailbox: ExchangeServer\/o=Contoso/cn=Users/cn=DDuck 
Number of folders processed: y
Number of items archived: 0
Total size of items archived: 0 KB

Number of items unable to be archived: 0
Number of items not eligible for archiving: x 
Number of items moved to mailbox: 0

Elapsed Migration Time: 0:2:59 (hours:minutes:seconds)

Migration Rate: 0.00 MB/Hour

Just wondering if there is somewhere EV logs how much quota it has changed and if there's a way to track this.or troubleshoot this? I checked Exchange logs which has cmdlet auditing enabled, and I don't see any script or any person changing these settings.

• This tells me a few things:

a/  The quote which is being read is LOWER than the amount of space needed to ingest the items, otherwise the SetEx2KUserQuotaValues function wouldn't change anything.

b/ You're not seeing (nor am I) the values that come out of the GetEx2KUserQutoaValues - I would expect them to be logged.  I mean logging them out is just good practice.. maybe these functions don't..  SYMC Support would be the only ones to tell you whether or not they SHOULD log something out.

c/ The values that were obtained for the limits are all flat ie equal.

In my environment they were set to 3 different (low) values.  And the result in my trace is a bump up of each to three different values.  Yours all show 2 Gb.

d/ One (remote?) possibility is because the quota is >2Gb.  I have personally seen 1-2 issues in the past (when I worked at Symantec) where the product failed to correctly determine things like mailbox size, when the mailbox was over 2 Gb.  The 'cure' for this would be for 'someone' to do a bigger repro, and set the values as you have indicated for the quota, and then ingest a PST.

That someone would really need to be SYMC support - and would take quite some effort.

13 Replies