Forum Discussion

Wangui
Level 4
12 years ago

DVR backing up to NBU Appliance

Hi,

I have a client with a DVR (model - IPD-8/16ZD) that churns out data that I need to send to the NBU appliance. It runs off a linux kernel, file format is H.264.

There's no way to get an agent onto the DVR, and connecting the appliance straight to the DVR doesn't work because it's not a file system NBU recognises.

My questions:

Anyone backing up DVR data to an appliance - how are you doing it?

What DVRs out there are compatible to NBU appliances?

Thanks.

• That does look similar to the software used by my last job - but the media sever was Windows based that ran the software

The software had a command line option available - the method we used was to script the software to access the files via ftp - copy to a local directory - and then run an archive job against that directory so that they were backed up and then deleted.

An additional prompt helped name each sub folder so that they were easily identified form all of the backups.

All depends what is available to you as to how you can do it - perhaps ftp would be avilable on the appliance but you would still need to copy then off first and then back them up locally (archive them) but you would probably need a media server or client in the middle to do it for you to make it simple - maybe a FT client would be good for that?

6 Replies

• If you do find a way of doing this I would reccomend only using the Advanced disk area as a backup target

If it is a DVR then the video you are trying to backup are probably in such a format that you would get very little de-duplication out of the file so would seem a possible waste of de-dupe storage.

Without seeing the manual I am unable to give more advice and it doesn't seem to be available online

The datasheet says it can be backed up over the network so there should be a way - last time i did an AV streaming backup we used a Windows client that ran a batch file to mount the data area and then run a backup job and then dismount it once finished - can't advise more without knowing what method they actually advise

• Right now what happens is that they fill up the DVR (2TB) then copy to an external disk. And this get's overwirtten monthly. That's it.

So they want the appliance because they need to hold the data for 3yrs, and they need an automated/automatic way of getting the backup done.

The data area can't be mounted because NBU doesn't recognise the filesystem.

The DVR has an ethernet port. And software that manages it is called VideoViewer.

See screenshot attached. I thought it would be possible to put the DVR and appliance on the network, indicate the path to backup as the IP address of the appliance and hopefully it works.

What do you think?

• That does look similar to the software used by my last job - but the media sever was Windows based that ran the software

The software had a command line option available - the method we used was to script the software to access the files via ftp - copy to a local directory - and then run an archive job against that directory so that they were backed up and then deleted.

An additional prompt helped name each sub folder so that they were easily identified form all of the backups.

All depends what is available to you as to how you can do it - perhaps ftp would be avilable on the appliance but you would still need to copy then off first and then back them up locally (archive them) but you would probably need a media server or client in the middle to do it for you to make it simple - maybe a FT client would be good for that?

• Makes sense. However, the media server in the middle would need to have 2TB worth of space to be the go between from DVR to appliance. That's an extra investment. Hmmm...

I'll run that solution by the team and see if that would work here. Thank you Mark.

• OK - 3TB external hard drive - £89 over here - would do the job on USB3 I would have thought?

• Put in a server in between the DVR and appliance. That's what worked. Thanks Mark.