Forum Discussion

liuyang
Level 6
11 years ago

How to change ip address of eth0 of NBU 5230 appliance

Hi, we are setting up one NBU 5230 appliance (2.5.4) for a customer. The customer requires to change the ip address of eth0 so they can manage the appliance remotely. My question is:

Is it possible to change the ip address of eth0? If yes, how to do it? Thanks in advance.

• eth0 is the default management address - it should be kept as the management port and not part of the normal teams for netbackup use

To change it just do it from the CLISH as you would any other port as shown below where you use IP address, subnet, gateway, eth port

Network - Configure 10.10.10.22 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.1 eth0

Hope this helps

5 Replies

• @liuyang, for remote management, IPMI port is available by which you can manage the appliance remotely as like remote KVM.

eth0 is given to setup the appliance by directly connecting the laptop to the appliance using RJ45.

There are 2 ways by which you can set the IPMI management port.

1) from BIOS

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO94363

2) from OS

1. Log into the appliance as root

2. Use the following commands to configure IPMI:

ipmitool -I open lan print

/usr/bin/ipmitool -I open lan set 3 ipaddr xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

/usr/bin/ipmitool -I open lan set 3 defgw ipaddr xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

/usr/bin/ipmitool -I open lan set 3 netmask 255.255.255.0

/usr/bin/ipmitool -I open lan set 3 access on

Recommended method is to setup the IPMI in BIOS would make the changes persistant.

Hope it helps.

• After you have everything configured, the TN below shows us how to add/manage the IPMI's user: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH173110
  • eth0 is the default management address - it should be kept as the management port and not part of the normal teams for netbackup use

To change it just do it from the CLISH as you would any other port as shown below where you use IP address, subnet, gateway, eth port

Network - Configure 10.10.10.22 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.1 eth0

Hope this helps

• I tried and the management IP address can be changed from CLI.