Forum Discussion

mmatheny
Level 3
10 years ago

Issue with Russian characters in file names

NetBackup 7.5.0.6, JAVA UNIX and Windows and Windows thick console all show same thing. Files were originally stored on Windows 2003 server, data was migrated to a NetApp CIFS. The filenames are corr...
    10 years ago

Could you confirm the local set on the filers volume.

Just because it may/ may not work in other operating systems, does not mean it will or will not work in NBU.

As I have mentioned, it's pretty much a requirement for filer voliumes to be UTF-8 , as that is what NBU uses.

I also explained that you could be unlucky and have multiple issues, the filer volume locale issue  + 'something else'.  Of course if you have two causes of the same symptom you have to fix both at the same time, else the problem would still be there - hence why if the volume is not set to UTF-8 it needs to be to make sure this is not part of the problem.

Or in other words, if UTF8 is not set on the filer volume any further trouble shooting for this issue 'could' be meaningless.

NBU doesn't change what goes into the catalog - it puts in what is sent from (in this case) the filer .

That is not to say NBU can't change it if something has gone wrong, but nothing like that springs to mind, whereas I can recall several issues related to locale, adn also issues on filers where they send incorrect information to NBU which gets written into the catalog.

cat_convert -dump <catalog.f file> will show the contants of what was written into the catalog.  The problem here is that the local of your machine you are virewing it on could affect the results, so try and do this on the master server itself.