Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Migrating NBU policies from windows to linux

Hello. Is there an easy way to migrate just the NBU policies from a windows master server to a linux master server (5230 appliance)? I've tried copying the /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class directory, but I get a socket error.

Thank you!

• open software share on 5230
    • copy your windows db folder to incoming patch on 5230
    • do not close your share
    • copy your files manually from /inst/patch/incoming to /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class.
    • make sure folder has correct permission
    • you can close your share now (make sure you have netbackup services stop all the time)
    • bring up the services and as suggested above make sure to take care of dns and storage unit
  • Ok. I figured it out. I followed the above steps from "Backup_In_A_Box" but added an addition step.

• copy your files manually from /inst/patch/incoming to /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class.
    • run the dos2unix command on the folders in the incoming location.
    • I ran this command to run the dos2unix command on all files except for in a folder called "kenb"
    • find . -type f \! -path \*/\kenb/\* -exec dos2unix {} \;
    • copied the incoming class directory to the /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class directorymake sure folder has correct permission
    • you can close your share now (make sure you have netbackup services stop all the time)
    • bring up the services and as suggested above make sure to take care of dns and storage unit

Additional step. I ran the dos2unix command on the classes and upon restarting the services, the policies were seen.

Thank you for your help!!

8 Replies

• Hi Ken

A simple recursive file copy should work (scp or zip the class dir and ftp to linux and unzip). After the copy has completed you may need to restart NBU services on the master.

A little more detail on where the socket error is occuring would help to understand the nature of the problem. If you are usng NetBackup utilities that may be the problem - try to use a standard OS utility.

Good luck

• hi ken,

dont forget, move the clients to the new master

and check the dns and ip connection

• here is step by step procedure.

It's just copy of the policy directory D:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\db\class(windows server) to unix server at location.

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/class
    the migration was done like this:
    - copy policy directory to the new master
    - deactivate all policies
    - update policies to use SLPs
    - add new backup server names to the client using bpsetconfig
    - activate policy on new master/de-activate on old
    - once all client cut over, remove old server names from the client

If your setup is more than 100 clients. Make sure you test run backup for 10 client at a time.
  • If you use something like WinSCP, the copy will work. Best to do this with NBU shut down.

You will need to update the Storage Units in all policies and ensure that the Appliance can connect to all hostnames in Client List.  You will need to ensure forward and reverse lookup between server and clients.

Use the old master to add SERVER entry for the Appliance to Host Properties on all clients.

• make sure folder has correct permission
  • Still getting the socket error. I am trying to copy just the policies and nothing else. I have tried using the share method, but I keep getting a socket error 25. I might also add that I'm trying to move policies from a Windows 7.0 master to a Linux 7.5.6 master with a different name.

• Might also add that I copied just the class directory and not the entire DB directory. Do I need to copy the entire db directory if I'm only interested in the class directory?

Thanks!

• Ok. I figured it out. I followed the above steps from "Backup_In_A_Box" but added an addition step.

• run the dos2unix command on the folders in the incoming location.
    • I ran this command to run the dos2unix command on all files except for in a folder called "kenb"
    • find . -type f \! -path \*/\kenb/\* -exec dos2unix {} \;
    • copied the incoming class directory to the /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class directorymake sure folder has correct permission

Additional step. I ran the dos2unix command on the classes and upon restarting the services, the policies were seen.

Thank you for your help!!