Forum Discussion

liuyang
Level 6
14 years ago

NetBackup 7 DR exercise

Hi, my master server and media servers are all NBU 7.0.1 on Windows 2008 R2. We are going to do some DR excercise soon. In the DR site, currently we only have one media server (deduplication node). We have another media server (deduplication node) in HQ and we use SLP to backup and replicate data of critical clients to the media server in DR site.I have a few questions regarding DR excercise:

1. If I setup a new master server (same host name as that in HQ) in DR site, how should I add the exisitng media server to the new master server? My friend mentioned "nbemmcmd". Is it the correct command or is there any GUI wizard for this?

After the DR excercise, how to add this media server back to the master server in HQ?

2. Currently I use hot catalog backup to back up catalog to tape. I plan to create another storage unit (basic disk) in the media server in DR. Then configure to use multiple copies in schedule in the catalog backup policy to back up the catalog to tape and to disk (over WAN, to the media server in DR). But I read some doc which said only copy 1 can be restored for catalog data. Is it true? Do I need to bring the tape for Catalog to DR site then?

3. How to restore catalog backup in disk? I read the troubleshooting guide which talks about DR and catalog recovery, but I see it only talks about restore from tape.

4. After I recover the catalog, can I restore the backup images in dedupe pool of the media server in DR by using BAR? I read some doc which said if I want to restore backup images in disk, I need to import the backup images first.

Thanks.

1 Reply

• Hi.

You have a few options here.

1. You can add the media server to a new master server using nbemmcmd -addhost (check nbemmcmd -help -addhost

2. In the situation you described it would be better to leave this media server and if required - convert it to the Master server with the exactly the same host name

3. It would be better to replicate the Catalog Backup using MSDP and optimized duplication to another MSDP in the DR. You can sync the DR file with the information from a new dedup pool (secondary copy) with the command. Check release notes for version 7.0 and 7.1. You will find the name of the tool

Cheers,

Sebastian