Forum Discussion

rbkguy
Level 4
14 years ago

Adding a media server to remote offices

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } Hi Everyone! I was hoping to get some feed back on and issue I am currently tasked with. We are currently using Netbackup 6.5.5 in our head office with about 100 ser...
    14 years ago

We ended up migrating from BE for our remote sites to Netbackup, but we also did it under the per TB licensing. I am pretty sure Netbackup 7's model seems to be based on the per TB and no longer a individual license (your current licenses are then converted to the relative value on MSRP and translated into the PER TB offering). I'd be surprised with such a large vendor as a federal government that they wouldn't offer this (it was initially the large organizations that they tested this out in). I think the minimum requirement is that alltogether all your datacenters meet at least 20 TB of protected data in licensing. I prefer having them netbackup media servers for sake of management through one master (no, you should not need additional master servers, just make sure you have enough disk storage on your master for any increases in image database size).

I would not recommend Puredisk personally. Use the media server deduplication pools in netbackup 7- the backup policies and job manager are significantly easier to control in netbackup than they are in puredisk (PDDO to a puredisk pool doesn't allow for client-side deduplication, but a media server deduplication pool does with the netbackup 7 client on specific os's). We've ended up using the netbackup 7 client deduplication on all of our remote sites (totaling around 1400).