Forum Discussion

iaw
Level 5
11 years ago

Eject tapes to mailslot

Hi, I have library with 24 mailslot. How to see/install mailslot drives in netbackup? How to manual export 100 tapes to mailslot in netbackup console gui? Thanks
    11 years ago

Mailslots are something the library keeps track of rather than Netbackup, as they are not fully 'inisde' the robot and writeable.  Likewise, when Netbackup sends the eject command to the library, it only cares that the tapes are no longer in the slots inside the robot, and so marks the tape as 'standalone'

The closest we get to working with mailslots is selecting  "Empty media access port prior to update"  when "Update volume configuration" is selected, so that we tell the library to ingest the contents of the mailslots before the inventory is run; or adding AUTO_UPDATE_ROBOT to the vm.conf file, which (if you have a compatible library) will automatically run a robot inventory when a tape is inserted in the MAP.

To export tapes you could select the 100 in the GUI, and right click for eject.  It will fill up the mailslot, and pop up a dialouge asking if you want to continue.  Before you click 'yes' go and empty the MAP.  Once the MAP is empty you can select yes and the eject will continue.

I hope that helps! :)

11 years ago

How to see/install mailslot drives in netbackup?

I think you mean slots?

The robot does not make these slots visible to backup application.

You can view contents of slots with robtest:

s p 

For robtest usage, see http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH83129

• To eject, select 24 tapes.

• Right click, In the popup menu, select “Eject Volume From Robot” 
    • After a short while NetBackup will complete the eject pre-checks.
    • Click “Eject”.
    • Wait for the next pop up.
    • Click “Yes” to continue.
    • You can now go to the Library and remove the tapes from the mailslot/ cap.
    • NB: Only reply “Yes” once you have removed the tapes from the cap.
      If you click "Yes" before removing tapes, NBU will return the tapes back to their original slots.

• Select next 24 tapes...