Forum Discussion

Coos
Level 3
11 years ago

Storage Server displys IP instead of its DNS name

Hi all,

I have added 2 new media servers and HP B6200 backup targets to my environment. As i was trying to add the B6200 in combination with one of the media servers to the configuration i notice that after the wizard is finished the newly added Storage Server displays itself with its ip-address and not by the name i used to create the storage server. I have checked al the DNS lookups, forward en reversed. I used bpclntcmd -hn to check te name resolution within NetBackup but this all looks good.

Any suggestions on what the problem could be?

thanks in advance! 

• It definitely has something to do with resolution. Can your storage device resolve everything. Maybe try hosts entries in all servers. Not nice but I've seen some strange ones like this with DD where it just wouldn't connect eventhough DNS was working fine.

8 Replies

• Where did you perform these checks? Master server and media servers? Somewhere someone couldn't resolve it. Also check bpclntcmd -ip and run bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache to clean up legacy information on all servers.

• i performed these checks on master en media servers. I did the clear host cache command on master and media but it did not fixed the issue.

The -hn syntax gives me as a result de FQDN QDN and the IP. I have compared this with 3 other Storage Servers i added at the same time. The result of the command is the same output.

• Do you have a Config Guide from HP?

I have worked with 2 types of OST Dedupe Appliances - Data Domain and Quantum.

Config for each of these Storage Servers was totally different:
    DD using hostnames (where DD recommends using hosts entries)
    Quantum using name_IP, where <name> can be anything, no need to be a valid hostname.

The HP OST guide should tell you how the Storage Server name should be configured...

• Yes, i used the HP guide "HP StoreOnce intergration guide with NetBackup 7.5" and followed the steps accordingly. In the guide the name is used to configure the device, wich i used also. But after the step of adding the storage server it is shown with its IP adres. It will probably work fine but it looks kind a strange with the other devices presenting themselves with there hostnames. There are 3 simular devices added with the same configuration steps and these devices show themselves with the name used during these steps.

• Try unconfigure and readding it. Maybe the names resolution at that moment had a hick up or wasn't updated yet.

• i have reconfigured it, even decommissioned the media server essociated with is but doing the procedure again does not resolve the issue......hmmm. Could it be a dns problem within the windows environment?

• It definitely has something to do with resolution. Can your storage device resolve everything. Maybe try hosts entries in all servers. Not nice but I've seen some strange ones like this with DD where it just wouldn't connect eventhough DNS was working fine.

• Thanks everybody for you help, it looked like a dns problem. We have stopped looking and accepted te strange phenomenon. Probably this was due to a mixed invironment with different versions of windows all trying to connect to one another. My customer said it will probably be gone when they migrate to new Windows AD.....

Thanks again all!