Forum Discussion

dagren
Level 3
6 years ago

Tape Drives show Missing Paths

Some of my tape drives are showing missing paths after a migration from one Fiber switch to another. I have validated that the zones are setup the same on the networking side (and even see the drives checked in, in the fiber database on the switches), I tried a solution from a previous post on one of the drives with the missing path(removing the drive and running tpautoconfig -a), but am not actually seeing the drive show back up after running tpautoconfig -a. Any assistance would be very helpful.  

12 Replies

• Depending on the make of the HBA (qlogic or emulex as a guess ...) there should be an HBA utility you can nstall (either SanSufer or HBAnywhere for the two brands I mention).  This allows you to look 'down the fibre' and see whats is (or is not) connected/ visible.

I'd start there ...

At the moment, nothing to do with NBU, and nothing in NBU is going to fix it.

Given you have moved switches, seems like you need to buy your SAN team some cakes ...

dagren
      Level 3

So the OS now sees the tape drives, but they are still showing "MISSING_PATH" under the device monitor. I have tried running the config wizard from the GUI and tried running the tpautoconfig -a from the master/media servers. 

Marianne
        Level 6
        Please run 'scan' from cmd (....\veritas\volmgr\bin) to see if the devices respond to scsi_commands and to verify OS paths.

If you see all devices in scan output, delete everything that shows missing_path, then run device config wizard.
  • Does the operating system see the drives , eg device manager

dagren
      Level 3
      It does not see all of them. I tried rescanning the hardware, but no avail.
        Alexis_Jeldrez
        Level 6

This should be obvious but software can't work with resources unavailable to the host operating system. You need to see the tape drives from Windows device manager before configuring them with NetBackup.

If some tape drives are missing then confirm the tape drives are online, check the cables, check again the SAN switches are configured properly and update the HBA drivers and the tape firmware if required/recommended. If some tape drives are working and others are not, try exchanging their cables to confirm if the problem is with the drives, cables or switch port.