Forum Discussion

Kai2209
Level 4
7 years ago

Upgrade NBU 7.1 --> 7.1.0.4 --> 8.0

We do have a master server based on solaris 10 with netbackup version 7.1 and plan to upgrade to 8.0. With this upgrade we also want to move o/s platform to redhat 6.7.

So first step was to make a catalog backup of the master and install 7.1 on the new redhat server. Installation went smoothly but upgrade to 7.1.0.4 looks also fine.

When trying to do a "bprecover -wizard" it asks for the DR file and errors out with "./bprecover: symbol lookup error: /usr/openv/lib/libVdb.so: undefined symbol: db_OpenImgWithLockByPathNb"

I tried the same without the 7.1.0.4 maintanance upgrade and the bprecover works. So something with the upgrade seems to wrong. If seen another post with a corrupt data file but downloaded everything again and same result :smileysad:

any ideas

thanks

Kai2209
    7 years ago

sorry all for the delay but was not able to answer before.

I fixed the issue. Downloaded the software again despite the checksum was already correct. Then i did not extract the needed platform (RHEL) file from the "NB_CLT_7.1.0.4.tar" as before. So i put the complete file (3GB) with the maintanance relaese file "NB_7.1.0.4.linuxR_x86.tar" together in a directory, extracted only "NB_7.1.0.4.linuxR_x86.tar" and run NB_update.install script.

I don´t know why but then i was able to do a bprecover !

thanks

12 Replies

• Hello,

I would recommend to bring the original server upto NBU 7.7.3 then move for migration and then NBU 8.0.

Regards

Marianne
      Level 6

I agree with Tousif - rather upgrade the Solaris server, then migrate.

Patching in early 7.x versions is really messy.
      You need to download  NB_7.1.0.4.linuxR_x86.tar (if Redhat) as well as the 2 split-files for the client software, verify checksum, then join the split-files, then verify checksum, and then extract both server and client patch in the same folder before patch installion.

None of that in 7.7.x or 8.0 upgrade.

Kai2209
        Level 4

yes i did exacly that. i have

VrtsNB_CLT_7.1.0.4.Linux.tar.gz which is a part of NB_CLT_7.1.0.4.tar and  NB_7.1.0.4.linuxR_x86.tar. So the updrage was runnig really without any issues or errors. But getting this error when trying to recover

./bprecover: symbol lookup error: /usr/openv/lib/libVdb.so: undefined symbol: db_OpenImgWithLockByPathNb

So you suggest to upgrade the original 7.1.04 solaris server first?. I hope we do not need any solaris patches here :smileyindifferent:

• Hello,

Why I recommended to upgrade the original server.

Disadvantages:

1) To migrate the server on NBU version 7.1 will not get support because of EOSL.

2) I can not recommend to upgrade the NBU 7,1 to 8.0. Because there are many major changes has done in between releases. e.g 7.5, 7.6.0.1, 7.6.1, 7.7.x & 8.0. To upgrade server to 8.0 may causes multiple failure.

Advantages:

3) The Veritas will help you to upgrade the NBU to 7.7.3 or 8.0 with correct guidance.

4) Also you will get support on hardware/OS change.

If you still want to migrate the server on NBU 7.1 then you need to contact consulting team for assistance.

Regards,

• What is the exact NBU version on the Solaris server?

You should only perform catalog recovery when NBU on the new server is at the exact same version of the existing master server.

See this TN:

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between UNIX or Linux master servers as part of a hardware refresh 
    http://www.veritas.com/docs/000041077