Forum Discussion

7 years ago

VMware Instant Recovery - ESXi resolving Media Server

Media Server is also the Backup Host: Windows Server 2008 R2 with NetBackup 8.0

ESXi: vSphere 5.5

Symptom: Instant Recovery for VMware fails with NetBackup Job Status 130 (regular VMware backups & restores were ok). Troubleshooting NFS shows the VMware message: "Operation failed, diagnostics report: Unable to resolve hostname '<MediaServer_hostname>'" associated to the VMware task "Create NAS datastore".

Workaround: We added the Media Server name in the /etc/hosts file in the ESXi. Instant Recovery worked immediatly after this.

My question: Do the ESXi always need to resolve the NetBackup Servers for Instant Recovery to work? I know the documentation recommends that the ESXi name should be published in the DNS (always a good VMware practice), but I didn't knew the ESXi themselves had to locally resolve the Master/Media/Backup-hosts servers too. I try not to touch the ESXi configuration, if possible.

• They should actually be able to resolve the media server for backups or restores to happen. in my experience, proper forward and reverse lookup will make the environment a lot more responsive.

1 Reply

• They should actually be able to resolve the media server for backups or restores to happen. in my experience, proper forward and reverse lookup will make the environment a lot more responsive.