Forum Discussion

vincentm
Level 3
16 years ago

Error EBAB0013: A test that safeguards the integrity of the program failed unexpectedly.

I will try to make this short:

Brand new installadtion of BESR 8.5.1 on a 64-bit Windows 2008 Server (Standard); I'm using the BESR Manager to manage 13 Windows servers, with Windows 2008, 2000 and 2003 "clients.

Here's the deal: I have new backups created once a week (Sunday) and recovery points created four times a day; once a day (I'll explain a little later), one of the jobs, on every Windows 2003 server, fails. The Windows 2000 and 2008 Servers always work, but the 2003 jobs will fail 25% of the time. There doesn't seem to be a pattern, a couple of days ago I was backing up at 8am, 11am, 1pm and 5pm; the 8am job would fail (five days in a row), but all the others would work, no problem. So, I removed the 8am job and guess what? Now the 11am job has failed (again, for all Windows 2003 servers) for two days in a row.

I just installed BESR- this is not an upgrade for the management server or the clients. I've called Symantec support, didn't get much help. They've said to run checkdisk, defrag, which I have, but I still get this error. They say to stagger the jobs, which I haven't, because I don't see the point; these work 75% of the time and I've monitored the network traffic (this is all being done over a dedicated backup network, not an issue) and that's not the problem.

Please help. Thanks!

21 Replies

• I had the same issue on 3 of my Windows 2003 servers when I upgraded to BESR 8.5.5. I am using the BESRM to manage my backups
    I did the whole uninstall, reinstall several times to try and fix it and finally found this article at Symantec Enterprice support:
    Document ID: 311728

Backups Created by Backup Exec System Recovery Manager Fail with Errors; "EC8F17B7 Cannot create recovery points for job, EC8F03ED Cannot create the recovery point, EBAB0013 A test that safeguards the integrity of the program failed unexpectedly"

Details:
    Cause:

Backups created with Backup Exec System Recovery Manager with "All Mounted Drives on Selected Computers" selected as the drives to be backed up. The computer(s) have an OEM recovery partition.

Solution:

Update the software to the latest build (8.5.5 or later). This should resolve the problem. If the behavior persists, create a new backup job

When I switched to just backing up the C:\ drive it finally worked.