cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11D Incremental and Differential of Exchange 2003 problems -

genecheek
Level 3
I'm gettting a failure on Exchange during the Incremental and Differential daily backup. Failure error is:

Backup - Xchg

Incremental and differential backups are not possible, because one or more of the Microsoft Exchange transaction log files has been deleted since the last backup. V-79-57344-33944

We have not recieved a complete backup since we upgraded to 11D and several calls to the support line.
8 REPLIES 8

Dean_Bliss
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
The error appears because you need to have a FULL backup of Exchange first before doing Incrementals.

Also, with Backup Exec 11 and using the GRT feature (Enable restores of individual items from the IS backup...) you need to have the FULL and Incremental jobs in a Policy.

Differentials do not support GRT.

genecheek
Level 3
Thanks for the reply Dean but I did have a full backup of Exchange and I don't have the GRT feature turned on.

Dean_Bliss
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
"We have not recieved a complete backup since we upgraded to 11D and several calls to the support line."

Have you run a FULL backup since the upgrade to 11d?

Do you have the 11d remote agent installed on the Exchange server?

Are you using the same selection list for both the Full and Incremental?

INSP_Tech
Level 2
John Dod here from Inspiration Networks: I am running 10d and am having the exact same issue. I can't find any solutions on the site so I did a search and ended up  here. Are there any troubleshooting steps that can be taken? My Exchange 2003 server is running the correct client.

EDIT: I am using the same selection list and created the jobs through a policy. Not using Volume shadow copy and not using AOFO.

Message Edited by INSP Tech on 09-11-2007 06:26 AM

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
You haven't got circular logging enabled on your Exchange Server have you? (Exchange System Manager, Storage Group, Properties)
Circular logging may delete transaction logs, though I don't know if that will cause this particular error.

INSP_Tech
Level 2
Circular logging is not enabled. I did verify that when I do weekly, which works fine, I have selected in the Microsoft Exchange-Exchange Server Backup Method section,  "Full-Database and Logs (flush committed logs).

On my daily, which fails with this error, I have selected "Incremental-Logs (flush committed logs). That is the only difference between the two jobs.

Tech4ever
Not applicable
Any news on this? I am having the same issue.

INSP_Tech
Level 2
I couldn't find the reason for the issue. I do think it might have something to do with using incremental as opposed to differential but that is a complete guess. I completely changed my backup/restore procedures. I am now just backing up the store and doing a full backup every night. I did away with the daily job. The response from Symantec to this particular thread was so poor that I had to find a solution on my own.