cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

11d is IMO is bloatware...

Dan_Thurman
Level 3
Why?

1) First, I could NOT get 11d to restore ONE file from a set of 9 DDS-3 tapes previously created by v8.5, 2 years ago (the tape has errors nonetheless) and it refuses to produce a catalog for which I deperately needed to restore *some* of the files within error infested tapes.

2) I gave up with 11d. To my amazement, I found my CD containing v8.5 release fully saved by me, 2 years ago, (and no thanks to veritas removal of v8.5 from their site). I uninstalled 11d, but it did not completely remove everything as there was artifacts of SQL v2005 express (and It amazes me they use a freebe SQL 2005 Express Server!) still lying around and it is a &^#@$^&% to remove, which I will have to do later). Next, I installed v8.5, properly configured it.. Wow. The system actually was robust, fast, was not slow at all! My Sql v7.0 server is running fast. I started up v8.5 BE and it snapped up and I was ready to go. Now.... I then loaded the tapes into the library mag, and started a catalog.... and in spite of some of the tapes having read errors, I was able to navgate through this and get most of my catalogs at this point listed and granted, it was not easy. This is *impossible* for 11d. I have restored the critical files I needed but of course lost other files where tapes had read errors, part way through. I was in the end, able to at least partially restore some of the files I needed, to my partial satisfaction.

I noticed just how bloated/bad 11d really is... after removing it and installing v8.5. What a BIG difference it is.

Conclusion: I will stick to v8.5 (which I have a full license for) and forego 11d completely until I find something worthy of my hard earned money.
0 REPLIES 0