cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11d reinstall having invalid character/path problem??

Gleep52
Not applicable
We had BackupExec 11d installed on our backup server - our SQL database was hosted on another server.  That machine was getting old and two of the four HD's in the raid5 died the same day.  Yippie.

We hadn't really used the SQL database for anything else except SMS (YET), so it wasn't a terrible loss - with the exception that our backup software no longer works. 

We have a new dandy SQL server now - SQL is installed on the D drive.  The SQL server's OS is 64bit (not sure if that makes any difference or not).  Our backup server is 32bit.

I uninstalled BackupExec from our backup server so I could reinstall it using the new SQL server.  Upon install I do the following steps:
1) Accept the license agreement
2) Choose a local install
3) Entered the licenses we have
4) Accept default directories
5) Type in the password to the backup account we use
6) Tell it to use an existing SQL server - it finds the new SQL server automatically
7) Pick "Use Symnatec device drivers for all tape devices" option
8) Click "Install"

It does it's thing and around 3 or 4 minutes later, it brings up an error prompt that reads:

Error 1324. The path Microsoft SQL Server contains an invalid character.

Then it "rolls back" everything and leaves me with a log file... in the log file - the line before the error states:
08-07-2007,16:25:49 : Folder: \\<server_name>\D$\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\ 

<server_name> is my replacement for our real servers name... FYI

It seems to me that it is trying to use the path and not accepting there's a space in there - so it brings up the 1324 error reguarding the first folder with a space in the file name "Microsoft SQL Server" - but why is it doing this when the last server was set up identically to it?

What can/should I do to get this installed and working again?  Is there some registry cleaner application I need to run first to clear out the old Backup Exec Installation?  Or is there something in the registry I need to tweak to get it to accept the default path it is trying to use to install itself?

Any pointers or help is appreciated!!
0 REPLIES 0