diff + full without write/append protection

to backup on an
hp storageworks autoloader 8 tapes
1 tape in diff mediaset
7 tapes in full mediaset
--------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT I WANT..
is that when i backup the hole data with my full backup job
at 12:00am, a media from the full mediaset must be taken from this job. monday through sunday.

and...
when the 4 differencial jobs are backing up the data, every 3 hours, the tape in the other mediaset must be taken.

is my wish possible ? or shall i try an alternative ?

please help my guys...

best regards
ralf
5 REPLIES 5

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
sure, - within every backup job you configure, choose the media set needed.
(backup job properties page - device and media - media set)

regards
uz

ralf_scheerer
Level 2
thank´s for your anser,
but i know that i can choose it.

my problem is, that when backup job B begans, the job takes a tape from mediaset A

Mediaset A Full Backup 7 Tapes Monday till Friday
Mediaset B Differenzial Backup 1 Tape 4times a Day

Differenzal Backup must take for every Job only 1 Tape, the Tape in Mediaset B

regards
rs

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
than most likely it is the setup of your overwrite protectiopn period for the media sets.
Unfortunately - by design (you can not change this), BE first looks in the corresponding media set whether there is a tape with OP time = 0 if yes it takes this tape - if no, it looks for a tape out of the scratch pool (or exactly the other way round, depending on the media overwrite options you have set)
But, if both is not true (no OP =0 tape and no scratch tape ) BE will look in any other media set it finds, whether there is a tape with OP = 0 . If it finds one, it graps it out of that media pool and allocates it to the pool the backup is attached to.

In your case this would mean, you will have to check the overwrite period AND append period for the diff backup pool (effective OP = AP + OP) and of cause the OP for media set A.

If the OP and AP are setup correctly, the easiest way to start is to just load only scatch tapes to the loader. BE will pick the tapes as needed and allocates them to the pools.
You will see, that there is an overwritable tape (or appendable for differentials) within every pool whenever a backup runs. At least it should be.

Hope this helps

Regrads
uz

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Only way to guarantee thsi is to set up partitions, and then point the jobs to the corresponding partition

See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/262055.htm
(You can hve more than one slot in a partition)

ralf_scheerer
Level 2
Great,

Thank you! Thats the Solution for my Problem.

Best Regards