cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOFO and windows vista

Warren_Davis
Level 3
I just updated backup exec on my windows 2003 server with sp2 to build 7170.
The advanced open file option would not install. Is this normal behavior for this build?
I tried the local install but it did not work either. I can backup my single vista workstation with the new remote agent without errors.

Any ideas or will this come with next build or live update?
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Hi Warren,

Build 7170 on a WIndows 2003 SP2 server should not have a problem installing or running AOFO. If the option will not install, it is most likely due to a filter-level driver, or another application causing a conflict. Best recommendation would be to run MSCONFIG, and disable all 3rd-party apps, then run the install of AOFO again.

Regards,
Greg

Warren_Davis
Level 3
Thanks for response. I was not clear enough. The aofo works fine on the servers in my network and the xp workstations and has for years. I am only haveing trouble one windows vista ultimate workstation. I tried disabling all 3rd party software and there is no evidence of it working.
When I do the silent install with dos prompt the cmd file executes with no errors. There were errors with the first 11d build but not 7170. However when you run the wizzard to configure aofo, a dialog box states network path not found for the vista workstation. The workstation is listed in the network and indicates that the agent is running. I looked at drivers running and did not see vsp. Do you still do this with vista like you do with xp and server 2003?

Thanks

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Hi Warren,

Make sure you are choosing VSS as the snapshot provider. We do not use VSP for VIsta workstations.

Greg

Warren_Davis
Level 3
Am giving it a try as I am writing this with microsoft vss provider.

I disabled the vista firewall. When I try remote install of remote agent from the backup server the agent can be selected. AOFO has an x beside it and this can not be changed.

I uninstalled the remote agent and then tried to reinstall. I disabled the vista firewall. Then at the server when I selected remote agent install, the aofo option had x and this could not be changed like the agent and one of laptop options. Then I tried local install at dos prompt. setupaofo did not install the remote agent as it did in xp workstations. Then I installed the remote agent and tried to run setupaofo command again. When I used aofo wizzard for the vista workstation, the dialog box stated aofo was not correctly set up. Thus I can not use symantec VSS provider.

Am I doing something wrong or do we need some type of activation to get aofo to set up on the vista workstation. I downloaded the new 71710 build and am using prior key for aofo. When I tried to update the key, I got the same key as before.

Or are there set procedures for getting aofo onto vista?

Thanks
Warren Davis

Warren_Davis
Level 3
Backup succeeded with the microsoft vss provider. I hope that you will fix it to where the Symantec VSS provider will work. I am OK for time being to have system backups now. Thanks for help.