cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About differential backup

William_Lawance
Level 6

Hi,

Add I know differential backup have to reference from full backup.

In my environment, I will do full backup on Sun, differential backup on Mon - Sat night.

Since new set of backup tapes will be rotated on every Mon morning.

My question is differential backup need to reference to Sun backup tape ?

Or I just reference from Backup Exec DB ?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

pkh
   VIP    Certified
For some GRT backups, the full backup tape needs to be available

William_Lawance
Level 6

Hi,

- What's GRT backup ?

- Since I am using BE2010 to do this backup job, is GRT applied ?

- Otherwise, it will be migrated to BE14 soon. Any impact ?

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Why are you using BE 2010 and upgrading to BE 2014?  From your previous postings, you have already upgraded to BE 15.

William_Lawance
Level 6

Hi,

Since agnet not compatibile with BE15, thus I have rolled backup to BE2010 finally.

As no CPS is available to backup in BE14 (even BE15), I am trying to make full weekly backup and daily differential backup for remote site (low bandwidth, only 13MB / min in backup).

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

GRT - Granular Recovery Technology. This setting is applied if you have enabled it in the backup job either under Exchange or AD or SQL or VMware/Hyper-V settings.

If modified time is the backup method, then BE runs the differential upon checking the information in the BE database, whereas if archive bit is the backup method, then BE runs the differential upon checking the file system where the source data is present.

William_Lawance
Level 6

Hi,

Since I am backing up files only, I think GRT not affect to my situation.

Otherwise, please check am I using correct method for full & differential backup ?

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I would strongly suggest you go throuh the available videos on Connect and the Admin Guide for your version of BE if you need questions answered about GRT etc. This has been around for many versions.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If its a non-GRT and files-only backup, then it is not necessary for the Sunday's tape to be be present when the differential backup runs.

William_Lawance
Level 6

One more question, once data is required to restore.

There is only one drive in my backup library.

How do differential backup data restore ? Since can't insert both full and differential backup tape to library.

Or just insert differential backup tape is ok ?

Thanks !