cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Denied to File - Exchange Backup

Matt_Torrens
Level 3
Hi,

I am running SBS 2003, Exchange 2003 and Backup Exec 9.1.
All of a sudden, my backup is failing on all individual messages in Exchange - it says "Access denied to file username . Top of Information Store.Inbox.email message"

I have already verified the following:
Also please verify the following.
1. Ensure that the backup job is being created while logged in as the Backup Exec service account.
2. Verify that the Backup Exec service account mailbox is not hidden.
3. Verify that the Backup Exec service account has Domain Admin and Local Administrative rights.
4. Verify that the Backup Exec service account has Exchange Full Admin rights.
5. Verify that mail can be sent to and from the Backup Exec service account mailbox.

PLEASE HELP!!
1 REPLY 1

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Causes of these errors have been traced to (but not necessarily limited to):

Anti-virus software accessing the Information Store at the same time as the backup, i.e. using the same Messaging API as Backup Exec does.(It is then recommended to stop Anti-virus software services when backing up the mailboxes).

Multiple levels of embedded mail messages (a message attached to a message attached to a message and so on)(remove message) Automated system messages (undeliverable, over size limit etc.)(remove message).

These reasons have been specified in the following document.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/231185

================================================
To backup the Mailboxes, ensure that you are logged in the system using the Backup Exec Service Account.

After logging in as this account, perform the backup.
Sometimes this error occurs because the antivirus
program takes control over the file when backup is being performed. Hence we always recommend you to stop the antivirus services. We suggest you delete, archive or move the
offending messages to a PST file. After this has been done the problem should not reoccur. When the corrupt mails are moved in to PST, Backup Exec doesn't recognize it as a mail and
hence the corrupt file message doesn't come up. Also, try creating new test backup excluding the deleted items folder and check if the error is displayed.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.