cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access denied error backing up Exchange with event id 9646 in app log

Barbara_Miller
Level 3
Running Veritas Backup Exec version 9.1 on Windows 2003 Server with Exchange 2003. We have this reoccurring problem where the backup fails been unable to backup the Exchange Public Folders giving the error “a0008488 – access is denied” this is accompanied by Event ID 9646 appearing in the Application log. Veritas offer a solution in article 267692 which requires modifying the registry to increase the MaxObjsPerMapiSession value. However if you investigate this further on the Microsoft Knowledge base they give a warning that If you increase the MaxObjsPerMapiSession value, it can have a significant performance affect on the Microsoft Exchange server. My IT manager doesn’t want me to implement the fix as a result and my only resolution is to reboot the server, every thing seems to run along ok for a week or so and then the problem happens again. I believe that Backup exec is not correctly closing the MAPI sessions and even if I implement the fix the problem would still reoccur eventually.

Has any one else had this problem and did implementing the veritas fix actually resolve it long term or did it cause Exchange server performance problem?
1 REPLY 1

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

It has been observed in case of many customers that the fix suggested in the technote has resolved the problem.

In case the issue persists, send us the excat error message with details on the steps performed.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.