cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active File Exclusion

dbaish
Level 4
So I've been reading a little about the Active File Exclusion that Symantec doesn't advertise.  It looks like you can disable it (http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/259152.htm).

My daily backup completes with exceptions saying that some .log and .edb files are in use and skipped.  From the technote, that would lead me to believe that the Registry has a key added to disable the Active File Exclusion feature.  However, I can't find any such key.  Does anyone know of any other key that would disable this feature or any other way of disabling it?  Thanks for any information.
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The TechNote explains how to add the key and value to turn off AFE in both v11d and pre v11 registries  (Steps 3-5)

However if you are getting the skipped messages for .edb files, it must already be turned off.  By default it should be turned on, and edb, mdf. ldf etc files will be skipped with no note in the job log

remember -

If you ever need to do a flat file backup of the Exchange (or SQL or Sharepoint or Domino) server, you will need to turn AFE off and shut down the database server

dbaish
Level 4
Yes, it appears to be turned off.  My question is how and why it is turned off.  I never added the registry key, and it doesn't appear that the registry key that is referenced in the technote is added to my registry.  So I'm basically wondering why I'm getting the messages in the job log when that key isn't in my registry.