cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An unknown or unexpected database error occurred while attempting a DBCC

Veritas_User
Level 3
When the Windows 2000 server running BackupExec 9.1 backs up itself the following error occurs...

Backup - VERITAS\BKUPEXEC An unknown or unexpected database error occurred while attempting a DBCC.
DBCC results for 'msdb'.

I have tried to repair the database but the issue continues.
13 REPLIES 13

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

In order to troubleshoot ahead we would like to know which SQL Database version you are using ? SQL 7.0 or 2000 ?

On SQL server and run the consistency check on the database with which you are having issues .

What is the SQL Consistency Checker Utility and which checks does Backup Exec perform on a Microsoft SQL server?
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/242004.htm

If you are getting inconsistent errors on the database
please resolve the database issue and then try to take backup.

Was the repair database successful or ended with errors?

Please do revert and update us on the same.

Thank you.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Veritas_User
Level 3
In order to troubleshoot ahead we would like to know which SQL Database version you are using ? SQL 7.0 or 2000 ?
I think it is SQL 2000. The version of SQL being used is which ever version of MSDE ships with version 9.1. It is the BackupExec database that is having the problem.

please resolve the database issue and then try to take backup.
I am trying to resolve the the database issue, that is why I have posted here.

Again I am working here with the database that was installed by BackupExec 9.1. The problem occurs when BackupExec backs up the server where BackupExec is installed.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Option 1
1. Recycle Sql services
2. Run DBCC checkdb on Sql server
3. Perform full backup

Option 2
1. Recycle Sql services
2. Click on backup selections tab
3. Select Microsoft Sql Server databases
4. Click on backup button
5. In backup job properties click on the SQL tab
6. For: Consistency check before backup: choose Full check
7. Run full backup and error should no longer appear

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Veritas_User
Level 3
After following both options 1 and 2 the issue remained unchanged. After installing service pack 2 and again following both options 1 and 2 the issue remains unchanged.

Consistency checking msdb
An unknown or unexpected database error occurred while attempting a DBCC.
DBCC results for 'msdb'.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

If you have recieved a consistency check while running the dbcc. it means that the MSDE database is inconsistent. You have also tried a repair database unsuccessfully.

In this case we advice you to ty the following, You can do these steps if you succesfully receive an empty database that I am attaching here If not please ignore this lin of troubleshooting. You would probabely have to contact us personally on phone or DA cases for the troubleshooting:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAVE OLD DATABASE:

First go to Beutility and dump database. (This will dump the existing database to the BEDB.bak file)
Then copy the whole data folder at another location (other than the drive on which BEWS is installed)

FRESH DATABASE INSTALL:

Send customer a fresh database (which is a BEDB_dat.bak file as attached with this mail)

Stop all Backup Exec services
Stop MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service

Rename the existing BEDB_dat.bak file to BEDB_dat.old

Copy the to the VERITAS\Backup exec\NT\Data folder
Start all the Backup Exec services and MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service

Run BEUTILITY
Right click on server name
Select Recover database
- Drop existing database and reload from base

Verify that all Backup Exec services are started, if not start them.

GET OLD DATABASE BACK:

Stop all Backup Exec services
Stop MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service

Rename the BEDB.bak file to BEDB.old in the existing DATA (Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT) folder.

Copy the BEDB.bak from the saved DATA folder back to the existing DATA folder.

Run BEUTILITY
Right click on server name
Select Recover database
- Drop existing database and reload from backup

Verify that all Backup Exec services are started, if not start them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional Information :

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Veritas_User
Level 3
That seems to be an empty zip file. Could you email it with a txt extension or put it on an ftp site where I can download it? Thanks

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Since you haven't received a file, we suggest you to contcat our voice support or DA support, so that our technical representatives will assist you in troubleshooting this issue.

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Veritas_User
Level 3
I have tried to retrieve this file from multiple computers (some behind no firewall at all) and am not able to open this file. I believe that I cannot receive the file because it is an empty file or corrupt. If you won't email the file to me or place it on an ftp site then will you verify the file and post it again, please?

Veritas_User
Level 3
First, I was able to receive the BEDB_dat.bak file from the zip file by clicking the file then clicking 'Open' rather than 'Save'.

Second, could you please clarify the steps outlined in the section 'GET OLD DATABASE BACK'? What is point of the two steps below IT IS THE SAME BEDB.bak FILE.

Rename the BEDB.bak file to BEDB.old in the existing DATA (Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT) folder.

Copy the BEDB.bak from the saved DATA folder back to the existing DATA folder.

After following these steps I was still left with an empty database, no jobs, no history, nothing. I was able to restore the old BEDB_dat.mdf and recover but now I am right back where I started.

Third, why are we working on this database to begin with? As I stated previously the problem is with BackupExec's own 'msdb' database, located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$BKUPEXEC\Data\msdbdata.mdf not the databases found under C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT.

Thanks

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

1. the empty database file was sent as the original bedb.bak was corrupted, have you followed the steps correctly? if yes then you should be able to get the earlier configurations back after doing the dump database and then recovering using the option reload from backup.

2. Also if the error persists then:

As mentioned in our last reply, the problem that you are facing is complex and hence, requires in-depth troubleshooting. It is therefore necessary that you open a Voice or Direct Assist incident. Unfortunately, we will not be able to assist you any further on this through the Forums.
Please contact us through your local support number as mentioned in the link below:
http://support.veritas.com/prodlist_path_phone.htm
* Please note that you may be charged for this service. For the latest details on pricing, please visit:
http://support.veritas.com/srv_portfolio/srvc_pricing_matrix.htm

Thanks,
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Veritas_User
Level 3
As all troubleshooting at this point has had no relevance to the actual issue I think it best that I just start a new post.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please let us know whether we can archive this post?

Thanks,

Optimus_Prime
Level 5
Partner
How this issue resolved? KIndly someone update this concern instead doing another forum.