cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to cancel a job if it takes too long to run?

Ross_Smith_2
Level 4
Does anybody know if there's a way to set a B2D backup job to cancel itself if it runs for too long?

This morning I've spotted that our CAD backup was still running at 10am, at that point our CAD users have logged in to the network and are working on their models, running backups at that point has a serious risk of corrupting a model.

I've set a very restrictive time window for starting this backup job, but for some reason last nights backup took far longer than normal.

What I'd really like is to be able to specify a fixed time window for the entire job, not just the start, does anyone know if this is possible?

Ross
4 REPLIES 4

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
There is an option in the job setup to cancel a job if it runs for longer than a certain duration. Would that meet your requirements?

Ross_Smith_2
Level 4
I thought that, but I can't find it anywhere in the settings for this job.

The job is a B2D differential backup, being run as part of a policy. I can't find a setting anywhere within the policy to set a maximum duration.

Corbett_Merrill
Level 3
It is possible and I would agree with you that it isn't in a very obvious place. The Automatic Cancellation Option is a property of the Selection List. It is under Priority and Availability.

I've always thought this was an odd place to put it. For example, say you have a Complete Backup and a Differential Backup that both use the same selection list (is that too abnormal)? Most of the time these two jobs are not going to take the same amount of time. But you can only have one automatic cancellation for the jobs because it is a property of the selection list. I think they should have it also as a property of the job or policy that overrides the selection list setting. Anyone else have experience with this?

Ross_Smith_2
Level 4
Many thanks for that, but I agree, that is a completely insane place to put it. Not only is it completely non-intuitive, but as you point out it places some horrible limitations on the how it can be used.

Fortunately for me I only need to implement it for one job, and that runs as a full backup every day anyway (differential is no use to us as knowing which files were deleted is every bit as important as which new files were created).

Many thanks for your help.