cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Append-Differential Backup Issue

Sean_Smith_2
Level 3
I'm running 9.1 on Server 2003. I'm trying to pick a couple of folders off of a Mac (OS X) and am running into problems.

The idea of the backup is to keep these large folders permanently. I created a tape set that allows append only with no overwrite. I then set up a differential job selecting only the folders I want, hoping that the job itself would look at this folder, see if there was any changes in comparison to what was already on the tape and only back up those materials that have changed.

The job is currently grabbing the correct folders, but is appending these same materials every time the job is run. it continues to fill the tape with exact copies of the same folders despite that no alterations to the folders have occured.

Is this related to the archive bit problem I keep finding when looking for a solution? What can I do to achieve my desired results??

Thanks a million!Message was edited by:
Sean Smith
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/253254.htm

Sean_Smith_2
Level 3
I checked the link you sent and made some changes to the backup, however, this did not take care of the issue. I am using Differential - Using Modified Time.

Right now, it is backing up all selected files every time I run the job despite whether or not changes have been made to the folder.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Simon_Armstrong
Level 6
Sean,

Did you follow the link Ken posted exactly? Note "The full and incremental (or full and differential) backups must use the same backup selection list. If the data is selected manually, then even if the Incremental or Differential - Using modified time backup method is selected, a full backup will occur."

Sean_Smith_2
Level 3
> Did you follow the link Ken posted exactly? Note
> "The full and incremental (or full and differential)
> backups must use the same backup selection
> list
. If the data is selected manually, then even
> if the Incremental or Differential - Using modified
> time backup method is selected, a full backup will
> occur."

I'm attempting to use the same job reoccurring on a weekly schedule. I'm still unable to stop it from backing up the selected folder.

The backup selection list does not have a custom name but the folder selection on the job never changes.

So should I create a custom named list despite the fact that this is the same reoccurring job?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Helllo,

As you have mentioned that the "folder selection on the job never changes", Are you getting any errors?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.