cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Available backup capacity

Joe_Wilson
Level 2
I just finished installing Backup Exec 10D on a W2K sp3 server. I have a Dell PV-110T-SDLT320 tape drive, and am using Sony SDLT-320 160/320 tape. I have compression enabled, (Hardware first then software), but since installing 10D, I am only able to get 105GB onto a tape. When using 9.x I was frequently getting approximately 150GB on to the same tape. The available capactiy in the device manager states 99GB. Any backup job above 105GB fails. I am using the Veritas drivers for the tape drive. Can someone give me an idea of what might be the problem?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
There many MANY reports of faulty compression using v10/10d

Have you tried Software Only?

if you shut down all the backup exec services, does NTBackup seem to comress OK?

Joe_Wilson
Level 2
I have tried software only, and get the same results. I will try the NTBackup tonight. So this is a common problem? Is there a way to change the compression ratio?

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

So do you mean to say that you get the same compression ratio if you use either hardware or software compression?

Did you try with NT backup? To know more about how hardware and software compression works, refer to the linkbelow:

Backups fail to get double the amount of the native capacity recorded to a media, even when hardware compression is being utilized.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/199542

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.