cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 - No compression on the VHD when using agent for Hyper-v?

lundholmster
Level 2
After backing up a hyper-v VM, the size of the VM is the same as it was then it was running on the Hyper-V machine.

Does BE 2010  not compress the VHD at all?

6 REPLIES 6

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Dped where you backing up the file i.e backup to disk location or to tape
On backup to disk there would negligible compression

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
The VHD format is already compressed, you can think it is a database file for vmware like exchange edb file. So the compression will not be much while backing up VHD, Vedios, databases(like exchange edb file, sql mdf and ldf)

lundholmster
Level 2
I disagree. This VHD is a fixed disk. I can compress it using Winrar fine, I'm wondering why BE 2010 doesn't compress it at all.

There is about 27gb of whitespace in this specific VHD that could be compressed.

I'm backing up to disk.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

I beleive when  backup is taken using Grt the Vhd all the files are backed up in native format and files are not compressed ... Also the backup will backup only the occupied space ...

lundholmster
Level 2

Alright. When I turned off the GRT functionality, the VM was backed up like an ordinary file and turned into a .bkf file and was compressed.

With GRT turned on, I got an Image Folder with the full VHD just siting there.

Thanks for your inpout, RahulG.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
If you permormt he Grt backup to a tape using hardware compression you woul see compression for the backup as the tape drive will perfrom the compression when wriing the VHD files
Could you please mark the post as resolved if ithas answered your query