cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 Not removing VMWARE snapshots from VCenter

JaquesC
Level 4

Hi there, As the title states, we can see on the VCenter server that BE2010 is not removing the snapshots of the VM's after it has completed a backup, providing some backups do fail at times and some are a good run, however the backlog is becoming big and taking allot of storage space.

Please advise on some simple steps to check to ensure that BE2010 is infact removing the snapshots or "ghost" snapshots from the Vcenter

We are running W2K8 R2 with BE2010 SP3

8 REPLIES 8

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

To a certain extent this can be just a timeout in the environment and my not be fixable by changes in BE. However we do offer some capability to affect the behaviour

Try the info in:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH200709

Note: the article is written for 2012 so I am not 100% sure if the same reg keys work in 20102 R3 - I will try and find out. EDIT: I did find out - the reg keys are unfortunately not applicable to 2010 R3 or earlier

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

There was a solution for BE 2012 for such issue, not sure if it works with BE 2010 R3 as well. Butit is worth a try.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH200709

What is the version of ESX. as there was a known issue with ESX 3.5 and VMWare had rolled out a patch.

EvgeniyL
Level 5

I have this problem too

teiva-boy
Level 6

This is not a problem with BackupExec.  This is an industry wide problem for any vendor that uses the vStorage API to integrate into vCenter.

Some backup products try to do a manual script to clean up any left over snaps then initiate the backup.  But it's not foolproof, though it is beyond what BackupExec does.

That said, it's a fault in vSphere.  They know about it, but it's not catastrophic or detremental to the system, and can easily be removed via vCenter.  Eventually vmware will come up with a fix.

Colin_Weaver

I did confirm if the reg keys I mentioend earlier were applicable to 2010 R3 and unfortunately they are not.

For info: I have put an edit in my original entry, just adding this update as I don't think edits of posts result in e-mails being sent out to any forum members that have subscribed.

EvgeniyL
Level 5

There will be additional solutions for SBE 2010 R3?

JaquesC
Level 4

Thanks for the feedback all, I see that I am not the only one with this issue, I did read up on this and I am aware that earlier version of ESX did roll out a patch, but as stated, this is a well known issue, and the snaps for now will have to be manually removed from Vcenter.

Thanks for the assistance and feedback, this thread can be closed.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Jacques: Please mark the post that helped you to find a solution.

Thanks!