cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 on 2008R2 / Exchange 2010 on 2008R2 / ADBO Backup Job fails

mcompeau
Level 2
Media Server: Windows Server 2008 R2 Std. Backup Exec 2010 Exchange Server: Windows Server 2008 R2 Std. Exchange 2010 Ent. I have pushed the remote agent to the Exchange server, from my backup server. When I try to backup my Exchange server using the ADBO (advanced disk backup option), the job fails, and I get the following error: The job failed with the following error: To use offhost backup, Windows Server 2003, Datacenter or Enterprise Edition, must be installed on the media server and on the remote computer. First off, I have full access to the volume in question, can take snapshots from within BE just fine. No problem there. This error message just doesn't make sense. I'm not running any 2003 servers, so it shouldn't apply. I understand the strict requirements for ADBO backups, the OS has to be the same and at the same patch level, that is how I have it now. I have installed my hardware provider, which is on the BE 2010 HCL, I verified the firmware version and VSS version of the hardware provider, both are above the required level. I don't know what to think of this error message. I haven't been able to turn up anything online. I'm running 2008 R2 across the board, why does the error message state 2003??? Within my job policy, adbo options, i have tried "hardware" and "automatic" both generate the same error message. BE is fully up to date, live update shows no updates required. I am fully licensed for ADBO option. Any ideas on this one??
3 REPLIES 3

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

This is something that we are currently looking into.  There have been a few cases logged to support regarding this error.  For the time being you will have to run non-ADBO backups.

mcompeau
Level 2
Thanks for the information.

Is there an ETA for a hotfix for this issue?  It's a pretty significant issue for me, as my non adbo jobs only run about 700MBps where my off host backups can go 3000MBps, I can't backup all my data in 1 night unless it's off host.

thanks.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

I checked to see if there was a posted ETA and it doesn't look like there is one at this time.  For the time being I would suggest subscibing to this technote.  When it's updated with a solution you will get updated. http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/347552.htm