cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 remote agent for windows failed with Error 1603

chvgms
Level 5

Hi,

Yesterday I have upgraded my backup server from BE 12.5 to 2010 and the backups were successful. Today when i tried to push the agent on one of my windows 2003 VM machine which has already BES 12.5 agent installed , it failed with error 1603.

Thanks,

Sridhar

10 REPLIES 10

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello

There can be multiple reasons for Error 1603. You may check the install log its located at

C:\Doc & settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs\BKUPINST.log

Workaround:http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH128757

Sush---
Level 6

Hello there,

Try to perform the local installation / upgradation of Remote Ahent on the remote server. Follow the technote given below:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH128757 : How to perform a local installation for the Backup Exec 2010 Remote Agent for Windows Servers (RAWS) and Advanced Open File Option (AOFO).

Thanks,

-Sush...

chvgms
Level 5

Thanks for the replies. I have around 12 machines to deploy the agent, hence want to go for remote installation. Today while installing the agent manually (by mapping the share on the local machine, not by copying the installable on the local machine) on one of the client machine, i didnt get the AOFO option. Also is it mandatory to reboot after the installation? But when i try to push the agent from console I can see the AOFO option. FYI, the client has 12.5 agent installed prior to installing BES 2010 agent.

Thanks,

Sridhar

AmolB

If BE12.5 agent was installed without AOFO then while upgrading you will not get the 

option of installing AOFO. You will have to uninstall BE12.5 agent and then fresh installation 

of BE2010 with AOFO.  

Note: AOFO is required only if you want to backup  Win 2000 server. Win 2003 onwards                   there is VSS whose funcionality is same like AOFO. So BE will make use of VSS to take             a backup of open files

While performing manual install the installables need to be on the local drive.

chvgms
Level 5

Will there be any impact if i install from nerwork share?

Sush---
Level 6

Hello there,

As you have 12 remote servers where the Remote Agent needs to be updated, you can try the push install on these servers. In case if the push installation fails then you can try the local install only on those servers where the Remote Agent push installation has failed.

Also during the local install we recommend to copy the installables folder on the local server instead of netwrok share.

Thanks,

-Sush...

AmolB

Installation may fail if its happening over the network.

chvgms
Level 5

Thx guys ...all went fine. But not able to push the agent from the server :)

chvgms
Level 5

I am attaching the log. Can someone please let me know why i am not able to push the agent from the console? I have installed the agent manually after couple of failures.

Thx,

Sridhar

gecima
Not applicable

Hi Sridhar,

try installing with user credentials which do not have any server based profiles and home directories. FolderRedirection should not be enabled aswell for this user.

Hope this helps.

Martin