cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010R3 Template Newbie

maitakeboy
Level 4

I have created my first Policy and have a bunch of questions. This policy has Weekly and Daily D2D jobs within it using two different Selection Lists. I have also created D2T duplicate jobs attached to these D2D jobs. I'm curious how these D2D jobs will run, since they both show the same Start time. Obviously, too, this would have an impact on the Duplicate jobs, which can't both run at the same time.

Also, do I need to separate the target folders on the D2D jobs, so that one selection list doesn't overwrite the other?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can increase the concurrent jobs parameter in the B2D folder so that both job can run together.  Otherwise, one job would queue after another. To prevent the .bkf files from being overwritten prematurely, set the OPP to an appropriate time.

As for the duplicate job, the first job will use the tape drive and the second job will wait.

This policy has Weekly and Daily D2D jobs within it using two different Selection Lists

You can only use one selection list per policy.  If you have 2 templates, one for a Weekly job and one for a Daily job, both of these templates have to use the same selection list.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can increase the concurrent jobs parameter in the B2D folder so that both job can run together.  Otherwise, one job would queue after another. To prevent the .bkf files from being overwritten prematurely, set the OPP to an appropriate time.

As for the duplicate job, the first job will use the tape drive and the second job will wait.

This policy has Weekly and Daily D2D jobs within it using two different Selection Lists

You can only use one selection list per policy.  If you have 2 templates, one for a Weekly job and one for a Daily job, both of these templates have to use the same selection list.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I'm curious how these D2D jobs will run, since they both show the same Start time.

When weekly job is scheduled to run, no need to run daily job (if full and diff/incr combination for a client). Create a template rule something like "when start times conflict weekly backup template superseds daily backup template". Select the schedule option in templates as "Run according to Schedule and Run according to rules of this template".

Also, do I need to separate the target folders on the D2D jobs, so that one selection list doesn't overwrite the other?

Not required. As your retention requirememts for Weekly and Daily jobs differs, create two different media sets with respective settings. Hence, daily backups will not be overwritten by weekly backups and vice versa.

How to configure B2D jobs/mediasets: BLOG.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can only use one selection list per policy.

No, a policy can be combined with more than one selection list. Combining a policy containing 2 backup templates with two different selections creates 4 jobs.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Maybe I am not very clear.  You can only apply one selection list at one time to a policy, so you cannot have a daily template with a selection list and a weekly template with another selection list in the same policy.

maitakeboy
Level 4

Thanks for the replies Kiran and pkh. You both contributed to my understanding and the solution. However, as far as applying multiple selection lists to a policy, I had no problem doing that for both my Daily and Weekly backup templates. There is a Windows and an NDMP job, now, daily and weekly.

I adjusted the start times on the two different jobs (Windows and NDMP) so that there wouldn't be any contention. As far as overwriting the daily incrementals, I'm kinda curious still, as I'm seeing all sorts of stuff in that folder. Can I just delete what I don't need or want?.

Also, If I set the OPP to 6 days, and I set in Tools>>>Options Media Management>>>Overwrite recyclable media before scratch media, will that give me the desired effect of retaining each daily backup for a week before it is overwritten? Should all the jobs be set to Overwrite media (for the D2D portion?)

maitakeboy
Level 4

Muchas gracias!!