cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE completes ok but no files copied

Richard_John
Level 3
I have a Dell Poweredge 2800 server running Windows 2003 server, an external HP storageworks Ultrium 460 tape drive connected via an Adaptec 29160 SCSI card. I am using Veritas Backup Exec for windows servers version 9.1 rev 4691 and everything looked fine.

BE runs on schedule and the backups complete successfully. I checked yesterday and cd not find any data on the tape. I checked a few more and realised that al the tapes used over the last 3 weeks since the installation are blank. The BE logs show successful backup and verification, the BE database assumes successful completion, except when it comes to restore the data - it asks for the right tape but ther files do not exists.

I obviously need to solve this before it becomes and issue - any ideas?
2 REPLIES 2

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

1. How did you check if there is data on these tapes? Are they the same tapes used for the backups?

2. Verify which tapes were used, insert them inventory them and catalog them.

3. Check if you can see the data in the restore selections for these tapes.

4. If you still cannot and you are sure that these were the tapes used for successful backups, rename the catalog folder.

5. In the catalog job properties uncheck the options to use 'use storage media based catalogs'.

6. Catalog all tapes. Now check if you can see the data in the restore selctions.

7. In the job properties in the job setup pane check in the job properties if you had selected the correct device

8. Also check in the successful backup job logs which device was used for backup this is important to locate the backups.

There is something seriously wrong that you are doing here.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Richard_John
Level 3
I realised the problem when during a restore process the data was not actually on the tape. I ran inventory and catalogue to confirm no data on the tape and then checked all the tapes for the last 2 weeks - nothing. I am pointing at the right drive, tapes are in teh right media set.
I found a BE fix SP2 which seems to sort the no data on tape issue, issues 68638/265701/220414
all seem to be relevant to this installation. Ran into a few problems - installed Mcafee Protection Pilot which screwed up BE SP2 installation, had to repair the original
installation of BE and ran SP2 patch again and tested a backup.... and it seesm to have worked...