cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 Hyper-V Agent and pass-through disks

Bryce
Not applicable
I just purchased BE 2010 + Hyper-V agent for a new Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V install. I was surprised to find that the Hyper-V agent does not, per the Software Compatibility List, support pass-through disks. Can someone please confirm? If so, any ideas as to why not? To my understanding, pass-through offers better performance than fixed or dynamic VHDs. Thanks.
1 REPLY 1

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Bryce

Couldn't find more about pass through disk. Hope this piece of info will help you.

Pass Through Disk in Hyper-V : Hyper-V allows virtual machines to access storage mapped directly to the Hyper-V server without requiring the volume be configured. The storage can either be a physical disk internal to the Hyper-V server or it can be a Storage Area Network (SAN) Logical Unit (LUN) mapped to the Hyper-V server. To ensure the Guest has exclusive access to the storage, it must be placed in an Offline state from the Hyper-V server perspective. Additionally, this raw piece of storage is not limited in size so, hypothetically, it can be a multi-terabyte LUN.

As per the SCL the Pass Through is not supported if:

Physical(Pass Through) DAS or SAN on the Host directly attached to the Guest

Physical (Pass Through) RDAS on the Host directly attached to Guest

Guest Disk attached via SAN(iSCSI initiator)