cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 Remote Windows Agent Crashes on Server 2008R2 - Faulting Module bedsmbox.dll

jnelson2000
Level 3

Clean install of BE2010 with Hotfix. Pushed remote agents to server 2008R2 box (DC, Exchange 2010). When accessing the system, Beremote.exe crashes with faulting module bedsmbox.dll. I have tried to do a complete uninstall, reboot, install and it is inconsistant. The backup job is data only job, as Exchange is backed up in a seperate job. The Exchange job does not seem to crash beremote. Only data backup.

No issues on other 2008SP2 and 2003R2 servers.

Any help would be appreciated. I have all the dump files if needed and have attached one of the several.

36 REPLIES 36

Engineer_System
Level 2
I have replcaed the txt for dll.
And is has made chnages to my system as i  can now backup \c:  \d:  \g:  etc.  
But with the new .dll i have lost the visability of my InformationStore.
It is as if the .dll hides the fact that the server is a Exchange in order to allow disk backup.

MicrocompTech
Level 2
Hi Guys,

I have the same issue and I open a ticket with Symantec but the guy gave me some instructions related to HP Insight - after I test all steps the agent crush every time. Also I create only one4 job for exchange 2010 and it worked ok for 75GB (HP test with 128GB worked well.)
I reply to your tech but no answerr yet.
Case no# 411502864
Windows server 2008 R2 with exchange 2010 installed - HW - HP ML350G6 - with HP insight software uninstalled.
Any news regarding the release of this patch?
Can I have also this test patch to test it with my server?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
MicrocompTech,

Ask the technician assigned to your case to escalate it so that you can get the Beta hotfix.

Server-tech
Level 4
Partner
Ben:
  I am a little disappointed with Symantec's handling of cases.  I finally got the hot fix via email 10 days after I posted earlier trying to get the hotfix.  Why should it take so long.  My client could have been without backups all this time but someone else helped me out.  How long normally does it take to get replies?  My case had a note for someone to contact me 3/1. 

KJW281
Level 0
Partner
My case on this issue "was escalated directly to our Advanced Team" on 2/26/10.  I still have no resolution or hot fix.  As a Symantec reseller I really need to find another vendor.  Symantec as a company is embarrassingly bad.

teiva-boy
Level 6
 You can ALWAYS ask for a duty manager to raise the issue.  

Alternatively, you partners/resellers, You SHOULD be in the TAPP program so that you get immediately to level 2 support on the first call using your own support ID number and not the customers.  You get better support this way.

CrEOF
Not applicable
Could someone send me this hotfix? I am evaluating BE2010 so calling support isn't really an option.

Thanks!

MicrocompTech
Level 2
Still waiting after one week...- REALY BAD SUPPORT
Now we speak to someone :
XXXXXXXX   MCP, VCP, CSP
Senior Technical Support Engineer
Backup Exec for Windows Servers
Symantec Corporation

MicrocompTech
Level 2
Ok Guys,

Finally we got the patch.
Good thing - the backup is working smooth.
The bad thing took long time to get it.
Note from the readme.txt:
1th->""This orphan has not been fully qualified by the
     Symantec Quality Assurance group.  As such, its use should be
     limited to the environments where information is being
     gathered or where the workaround provided by this orphan
     outweighs the risks of using untested code.  """

Guys, really don't know what the Quality Assurance Group is doing but the release version pass that group and it is failing- so they do a really GOOOOOD JOB - so that group should be fired!!!!

2th->"The user of this
     software agrees to assume the risks inherent in the use of an
     orphan build and further agrees not to distribute this code. "
GUYS, when someone is offering his server to test for FREE your software try to be more responsive - not every day and everyone can do that ...so please be faster in your responses.

ANYWAY – THANK YOU and I am waiting for the real patch that it will PASS the QC Group...

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
I don't know if this was clear in the technote or not, but if the Exchange backup and the File system backup were seperated into two seperate jobs, this issue does not occur.   

Was anyone seeing this issue after seperating the backup jobs or was there a problem seperating the Exchange and File system backups?

Dandav
Level 2
Partner

I did create 2 seperate jobs and the Exchange job ran successfully, the data job still failed.  I managed to get the hotfix and that seems to have corrected the issue, working fine now. This is a single server, Windows Server 2008 R2, domain controller with Exchange 2010 installed.

dirisit
Level 3
can you also send me the beta fix, I too have been waiting almost a week for support to get back to me with this fix, symantec support is horrible!!
thanks!

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Did the job fail or did the service crash during the data job?  Also where you running the jobs at the same time or at different times?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

dirisit,
Did the workaround of seperating the exchange and OS backup not work for you?  Is the service still crashing after seperating the backups?

dirisit
Level 3
No, I separated the jobs and it did not work, some work around, huh??

I have 2 tape drives and run 2 backup jobs at night simultaneously and backed up the exchange db on 1 job, which ran fine, always did,
and backed up the file systems (C:/E:/system state/shadow copy) on the other job, and that job crashed the beremote.exe just like it did
when it was all in one job.

How long does it take to get this beta fix?? does anybody have it to give to me? I can not wait 3-4 weeks for symantec to finally get around to
me to get me this fix. Backups are not a luxury, they are a NECESSITY, tell symantec that.!

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

If you're having a hard time with the technician you are currently working with, then my best suggestion would be to call in and ask to speak to the Duty Manager. They can normal help with getting your case moved along.

Matthijs_in__t_
Level 3
Partner
Could anyone mail me the fix? I will not try to get it from Symantec as I read here that it will take weeks for it to arrive. Strange btw that the fix is still in Beta. It has been weeks since we reported this problem.

I 2sc Dandav when he says:
I did create 2 seperate jobs and the Exchange job ran successfully, the data job still failed.  I managed to get the hotfix and that seems to have corrected the issue, working fine now. This is a single server, Windows Server 2008 R2, domain controller with Exchange 2010 installed.

-- end quote

We have the same thing. Splitting Exchange and File backup is an old trick which we do since Backup Exec 12. It didn't help for this issue.

So, can I have the fix as a beta or distributed by Liveupdate, please?

With kind regards,

Matthijs in 't Anker