cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 + Veeam ?

muhaynes
Level 2

Hello everyone,

I'm currently researching a B2D2T solution for my new virtualized environment and I have settled on Veeam for handling the primary B2D portion of my setup. My next step is to find an application that will push the Veeam backups to tape, and I've used Backup Exec before so I started there. I called Sales and was informed that the file extensions Veeam uses (VBK/VBR) are on the "Unsupported" list with BE. This is a little puzzling because they're just flat, simple files and apparently they cannot be supported just because they're produced by a competing product? 

Anyone do anything similar? Anyone from Sym want to comment on the support issue? Is there a distinction between guaranteeing the integrity of the file backed up / restored within Veeam or simply that support will not help me in any way once they find out what type of files I’m attempting to work with?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Well, if it means anything, I restored data last week using BE 2010 R2, from a tape backed up in 2007 by Brightstor ARCserve Backup 11.5...that's also a competing product.

We're also going this route with our Vm environment. BE 2010 R2 (I haven't checked for R3) is a bit clunky to set up and back up VMs, and the throughput I managed to get doesn't come close to Veeam. Something Symantec needs to look at.

That said, there is no reason NOT to backup the Veeam output files. Like you said, they're simply flat files. You can either back those files up during the day, meaning no strain on your servers, or schedule Veeam to kick off a job in BE once it completes.

Your restore procedure is the exact opposite...restore files using BE to disk; restore from Veeam. There is also no reason not to run Veeam and BE on the same server. I do that on 2 of my sites with no integration issues whatsoever.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

Well, if it means anything, I restored data last week using BE 2010 R2, from a tape backed up in 2007 by Brightstor ARCserve Backup 11.5...that's also a competing product.

We're also going this route with our Vm environment. BE 2010 R2 (I haven't checked for R3) is a bit clunky to set up and back up VMs, and the throughput I managed to get doesn't come close to Veeam. Something Symantec needs to look at.

That said, there is no reason NOT to backup the Veeam output files. Like you said, they're simply flat files. You can either back those files up during the day, meaning no strain on your servers, or schedule Veeam to kick off a job in BE once it completes.

Your restore procedure is the exact opposite...restore files using BE to disk; restore from Veeam. There is also no reason not to run Veeam and BE on the same server. I do that on 2 of my sites with no integration issues whatsoever.

muhaynes
Level 2

Thanks for the reply. 

I'm finding a fair amount of people running this combination without issue, I think I'm going to hazard a chance and hope to hell I never need support with it. Kinda sucks to pay for support and be unsure if they'll be there for you in your time of need, but I guess I'll just have to be extra diligent in my testing before deploying it to production and ensure the process is sound. 

CraigV

...it's kind of like the engineer saying you can't back up ANY flat-file as it is in a different format. THat's a load of rubbish really, and basically a poor sales pitch!

You can actually do the following:

1. Backup using Veeam.

2. Create a job in BE, and either leave it as-is, or schedule it to run some time AFTER the Veeam job runs.

3. Create a custom batch file that runs in Veeam. After the job completes, it kicks off the BE job.

Restoring is the exact opposite like I mentioned.

It works for us, and many other people too! Your support from Symantec's side would end with backing up to tape, or restoring from it...only those 2. You'd need support from Veeam for the actual VMware backups...

Hope this helps!?!

maxim_petrov1
Level 2
Partner

Which version of BUE and Veeam are you folks running?

CraigV

...from my side, BE 2010 R2 (soon to be R3) and the latest version of Veeam...