Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 sometimes fast sometimes slow -> Pattern

mb1811
Level 2

Hi there!

Here's my problem:

Server 1: Win2012 HyperV Core running a Win2008R2 machine were BE2012 SP3 is installed. Nothing else!

Server 2: Native machine Win2008 with BE Agent

Server 3: Win2012 HyperV Core running a Win2008R2 machine with BE Agent.

Latest updates on all machines are installed. I'm doing just file backups. No system state,etc.. Network is 1GBit/s - I can reach 2500MB/min RMS with Robocopy or similar tools.

Backups are written to a QNAP TS-869U NAS. Also here I can reach 2500MB/min. All fine.

Now I get these patterns:

Server 1 Win2008 Fullbackup - 70GB

Day 1 600MB/min
Day 2 1200MB/min
Day 3 600MB/min
Day 4 1200MB/min
Day 5 600MB/min
Day 6 1200MB/min
Day 7 600MB/min
Day 8 1200MB/min
Day 9 600MB/min

Server B Win2008R2 Fullbackup - 240GB

Day 1 600MB/min
Day 2 2000MB/min
Day 3 2000MB/min
Day 4 600MB/min
Day 5 600MB/min
Day 6 2000MB/min
Day 7 2000MB/min
Day 8 600MB/min
Day 9 600MB/min

I ran the backups at different times. It doesn't change the speed. Usually I let the jobs run at night it should be the only traffic on that LAN. Both Jobs never run at the same time!

Anybody got an idea?

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Any sort of maintenance being done on the servers when they are being backed up? Any AV scanning the B2D or the beremote.exe service on the remote server (all the BE services on the local media server)?

Any sort of maintenance being done on the NAS at the time of the backup? If the NAS does iSCSI have you tried to use this instead of a share (assuming you're using a share)?

Thanks!

mb1811
Level 2

Hi!

No - there is no maintenance done!

Server 1 is a whole new setup!

That BE2012 Server ran 2 Weeks ago on Server 2. So it did a Backup of his own - then a remote backup on Server 3.

We never had any issues with the speed exept that windows machine did a reboot when running a backup job from time to time. So we moved and that issue is gone.

Over this we have a BE2010 Server doing a Remote Backup of an exchange2010 writing on the same NAS. No issues - nothing.

CraigV

Is the BE 2012 media server a VM? If so, is anything happening within Hyper-V at the time of the backup?

Does BE 2012 have the latest SP installed on it?

THanks!

mb1811
Level 2

BE2012 Server is running in a VM on the HyperV Core - but the Server is empty - no VM running!

The latest SP via liveupdate is up!

CraigV

...so both Server 2 and Server 3 suffer decreases in speed on the same days? Does the BE 2010 media server run backups at the same time?

mb1811
Level 2

These are the only 2 backups running!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Using a virtualized media server and accessing real devices is not supported

CraigV

...only picked this up now, so apologies for replying.

The only other thing I can suggest (besides pkh correctly pointing out that BE installed on a VM isn't supported) is to check the hardware configuration and make sure all NICs etc. are hard-coded to the fastest speed.

Failing that, if you can move BE onto a physical server as a test, try that and see if this affects the speed of backups.

Thanks!