cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEDATA Folder size large IMG Folders

ostwaldbros
Level 2

Hi There,

im just wondering if someone could help me with the IMG folders that are in the directory of the BEDATA folder? currently i have folders in there ranging from 15/12/14 - 06/07/14,

what are these used for? there are 5.6TB of them, are they needed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Verbatim from a KB article - Data that is targeted to a backup-to-disk folder is stored in media with a B2D prefix (for example, B2D00001). When Granular Restore Technology (GRT)is enabled, two media are created in the backup-to-disk folder. One media has an IMG prefix (IMG00001) and the other has a B2D prefix. The IMG media stores the GRT data, while the B2D media acts as a pointer.

So, these typically should not be deleted. However, if the IMG folders are belonging to the year 2014 and if you are sure that there aren't any associated backup sets pertaining to that date range in the Backup Exec UI, then you can delete them as they may be orphan backup sets.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6

Verbatim from a KB article - Data that is targeted to a backup-to-disk folder is stored in media with a B2D prefix (for example, B2D00001). When Granular Restore Technology (GRT)is enabled, two media are created in the backup-to-disk folder. One media has an IMG prefix (IMG00001) and the other has a B2D prefix. The IMG media stores the GRT data, while the B2D media acts as a pointer.

So, these typically should not be deleted. However, if the IMG folders are belonging to the year 2014 and if you are sure that there aren't any associated backup sets pertaining to that date range in the Backup Exec UI, then you can delete them as they may be orphan backup sets.

ostwaldbros
Level 2

Hi VJware,

thanks for the advice, could you tell me the best way to find out if there are any associated backup sets? I only keep my backup sets for 2 weeks as they go to tape weekly, so does this mean any before 2 weeks could be deleted if there are no backup sets for them?

VJware
Level 6

From the Backup Exec UI, click on the Storage tab and then double-click on the Disk Storage. Choose Backup Sets from the left pane. Check if there any backup sets for the above mentioned date range. If there aren't, you can delete the old IMG folders.

Have a look @ this KB article as well for a better understanding as to how the backup sets are automatically deleted - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO99585.html