cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEMCLI PowerShell SDK Bug in BackupExec.Management.CLI.BEHyperVSelection

DavidHomer
Level 3

Hi,

We're writing a Backup Exec module for our network documentation tool for customers to be able to document their Backup Exec configuration.

We've found another disturbing bug in the BEMCLI PowerShell SDK when viewing Hyper-V selections

The issue seems to be in the BackupExec.Management.CLI.BEHyperVSelection class. When the Host Component is excluded this is clearly shown in the browse and selection details tabs.

HyperVSelectionspng_0.png

However when viewed using PowerShell the SelectionType is clearly shown as Include rather than exclude. This is potentenially dangerously misleading.

HyperVSelectionspngPowerShell.png

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi David

We don't claim to support 100% of the operations that can be performed in the  Graphical Admin Console (GUI) operation with BEMCLI (for instance there are definitely some unsupported for creating jobs by BEMCLI selection list types), It is therefore possible that trying to get the configuration of these same types of data also cannot return valid answers and would explain your issue.

Now I am not 100% sure if the items you are interested in cannot be be used to create selections by BEMCLI however  if they are part of that list then even though you are asking to view current settings and not create you are really asking for an enhancement and they would not be classified as bugs

However if you really think they are bugs then you should log formal support case and if you cannot do that via the portal then you need to use the phone to resolve your portal issue and to log your cases for BEMCLI. .

The forums are community supported areas (that some Symantec staff such as myself assist with) however as explained in your other post forum contributors cannot log cases on behalf of custoemrs as we cannot validate your support status.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi David

We don't claim to support 100% of the operations that can be performed in the  Graphical Admin Console (GUI) operation with BEMCLI (for instance there are definitely some unsupported for creating jobs by BEMCLI selection list types), It is therefore possible that trying to get the configuration of these same types of data also cannot return valid answers and would explain your issue.

Now I am not 100% sure if the items you are interested in cannot be be used to create selections by BEMCLI however  if they are part of that list then even though you are asking to view current settings and not create you are really asking for an enhancement and they would not be classified as bugs

However if you really think they are bugs then you should log formal support case and if you cannot do that via the portal then you need to use the phone to resolve your portal issue and to log your cases for BEMCLI. .

The forums are community supported areas (that some Symantec staff such as myself assist with) however as explained in your other post forum contributors cannot log cases on behalf of custoemrs as we cannot validate your support status.

DavidHomer
Level 3

Hi Colin,

If there is a limitation in the PowerShell SDK it should report "Unknown" not misleading information so I would definitely count this as a bug.

We don't have a support contract ourselves - we are working on behalf of other users so cannot log the support calls.

I'm just posting the issues to help inform other Backup Exec users who may come across the issue in the future.

Dave