cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWS / Remote Agent CAL Licensing Question

Level 2
Hello,

I was hoping somebody could help with a question we are having on the licensing of Backup Exec for Windows Servers and licensing of the Remote Agent.

We are currently running Backup Exec 9.1 on multiple servers at several sites, and we are planning to change the configuration at some sites so that the servers at those sites will all be backed up by a dedicated media server equipped with a robotic tape loader. Do we need to purchase Remote Agent licenses for those servers, or will their Backup Exec for Windows Servers licenses allow them to be backed up properly and legally by the new media server? In other words, some of the original standalone media servers will become just remote clients. Do we need to purchase Remote Agent licenses for them?

Cheers,

Charles
5 REPLIES 5

Satish_Krishnam
Level 4
You need not purchase remote agent license for backing up the standalone media servers in your network.

Level 2
Hi Satish,

thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure it addresses my question. Maybe I wasn't clear, so I'll try again.

I have servers that are already running Backup Exec, and now I want to backup those servers REMOTELY to a new centralized media server. Can I do this without purchasing Remote Agent licenses for them? How is it done?

I have tried to do these backups, but I am not able to make any remote backup selections for those servers. I get a message box saying that the selections are disabled, basically because there is no Remote Agent license.

Darpan_Thaker
Level 5
Hi,

In order to backup the Backup Exec server remotely from Centralized media server, you will require the remote agent license. It is not possible to backup that server wihtout installaing remote agent license on Centralized server.

We hope this clarifies.

Darpan_Thaker
Level 5
Remote Agent license is required to backup the remote Backup Exec server as well.

Level 2
Thanks to all who provided feedback on this. It seems that we will have to purchase additional RAWS licenses in order to make the changes described.