cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BK exec 2010 R3 b-2-d creates 2.0KB media

kaybol
Level 3

I'm running BK exec 2010 R3 with all the lates updates.  It's 64-bit on a Dell server.  I have the setting configured so that it overwrites recybacle media before scratch media.  Maximum size for b2d files is 10GB and allocate the max size for b2d files.  All the 2.0KB files are in scratched media and the allocated date is from 3 days ago.  There's over 3700+ files in scratch media.  What could be causing this?

6 REPLIES 6

kaybol
Level 3

I just noticed another weird thing.  When i look at the b2d storeage disk, the file names that correspond to the labels in scratch media is that they're showing 10GB sizes as opposed to 2.0KB.

kaybol
Level 3

Another crazy thing, I selected all the scratch media in the b2d storage disk and ran properties on all 3700+ of the files and shows that almost 37TB of data! That's very wrong since the NAS is only 3TB that I use.  What is going on?!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you are doing GRT backups we create 2kb BKF headers and actually use IMG folders fopr the backuip. At the end of each backup this 2kb header is moved back to Scratch as it is no longer needed.

The Allocate Maximum Size setting does not apply to IMG folders and I suspect should not be used with GRT backup sets as such this might be the cause of the mismatch between the size you see in the console and that seen on disk.

Why these 2kb files are not being overwritteen is probably down to something esle in your job or media management settings  (unless you run 37000 GRT backups in parallel every night anyway (which I suspect is unlikely)

kaybol
Level 3

Thank you for the response.  So what would be a possible solution to resolve this?

Happyemail
Not applicable

I had the same problem and I disabled GRT, it still creates the files you can see them in all media being created as the job runs but they do not appear on the hard disk. I would suggest you create a new backup to disk folder and a new media set and then recreated the job. If that is not possible I would create the new folder and media set then point your existing backup job at the new backup2disk folder and media set.

Hope this helps

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Could be a case of a corrupt .cfg file & per the last comment, creating a new B2D folder might help.